Logo

OMC 50L in 1976 Grew with Electric Shift outdrive

mikeincanada

"So... fun and games with this

"So... fun and games with this boat.

Engine runs OK, feels a little rough but not too bad. After running for 10 minutes or so and coming off the plane back to idle speed, runs very rough and I have black smoke. Engine stalls very easily when this happens and is difficult to re-start.

Has an old 4 barrel Holly carb. Local boat guy suspects choke may be getting stuck. Anyone have any other insights?

Thanks for your help.
Mike"

"I would say the black smoke i

"I would say the black smoke is definitely an indicator of running too rich, the choke would be my first guess and something fairly easy to check. You may also want to pull your plugs and clean them as most likely they will be fouled soon if not already."

Thanks Bob.
Is it simple to c

Thanks Bob.
Is it simple to check for a sticky choke? A cable that needs lubricating etc ? or do you have to pull the carb apart?

"Quickest thing to do after ru

"Quickest thing to do after running it to make sure it's up to operating temp is to just remove the engine cover and the flame arrestor and see if the choke plate is wide open, if it is then it's not the choke, if it's partially closed then it could be binding or need adjusting or ???"

Back