Logo

V6 Crusaders All the sudden it wont try to start

kevintimm

"My port engine has decided no

"My port engine has decided not to even try to start. This came out of know where as we have been using the boat for awhile now. When i turn the key to start it, nothing happens. We have replaced the batteries, bypassed the ignition switch, but cant seem to get anything. everything looks ok on the engine, the wires are nice and neat, i reseated the wire harness and still no luck.

My question is this, what would you first take a look at? To me, it seems to be an electrical problem. do you think so also? if so, what exactly should i look for? I am going out there later today with a voltage meter to test wires. Also, could it be my starter? i have always assumed that even a bad starter would atleast make some kind of noise when you try to start it. am i correct in saying that? I do not hear any noises, not even a faint humm when i start it.

Thanks for your advice"

"volt meter good to start with

"volt meter good to start with....follow the battery's path the the engine and find out where it ceases to exist. Don't forget the ground side, too.

Do you get the warning horn with the key turned on? If not, check the battery switch(es). There's usually a circuit breaker in the main feed from the starter that may need to be cycled."

I do not get any warning horn

I do not get any warning horn when the key is on. but I also do not get that with the starboard engine which works fine. I have been trying to read up on this a little. I hear there is a way to jump start the engine right at the selenoid? would this be something for me to try out?

I dont think i have any battery switches. I have a wire from the battery to the key and then a wire from the key to the starter. i believe the wire goes directly to the wireharness on the engine. i do not believe the is a fuse in between. I have also bypassed the switch by touching the ingintion wire to the battery wire and still nothing.

"No B+ in the harness.

"No B+ in the harness.

Check for B+ at the starter lug, on the top terminal. If its not there, start tracing the thick wire (red) back to the battery...if you have a switch, it should be in that lead.

Do you have the owner's manual, with the wiring diagram for the engine, in the back?"

"Unfortunately I do not have a

"Unfortunately I do not have an owners manual. The boat is pretty old and i bought it used. I will check for the cable at the starter and trace it back. does this just sound like an electrical problem to you? if i was getting power to the starter, it would at least make some type of noise right?

No B+ in the harness:
are you saying that my problem should have nothing to do with my harness because all of the wires to start it go directly to the starter?

Thanks for you help on this. it is helping me alot."

One other simple thing to chec

One other simple thing to check is the neutral start switch. move the gear control to forward and back to neutral and see if this fixes things first. this is a safety interlock just like on any recent automobile.

I was hoping it was something

I was hoping it was something as simple as the neutral switch. but my engines dont seem to have them. I am able to start my starboard engine while its in gear. I have also made sure my port engine is in neutral with no luck. Where would the neutral switch be located? on the engine or near the ignition? the boat is a 1975 chris craft and was repowered in 2000 with v6 crusaders

There should be an engine moun

There should be an engine mounted circuit breaker. It will kill power to even the key switch.

"The neutral switch is usually

"The neutral switch is usually in the gear but can also be in the control box.

I'd say get the voltmeter and start at the battery. then see if the battery voltage is present between the block and the top lug on the starter solenoid. then onto the circuit breaker (both sides), and then the key switch.

If you don't have battery voltage between the starter and the block, you've got a bad wire or an open switch between the battery and the engine - start tracing the baterry leads from the engine back to the battery."

I found the problem this weeke

I found the problem this weekend. I was able to run a new wire from the key switch directly to the starter solenoid. starts right up this way. Is this cause for concern? or is that wire ok not going through the wire harness?

"You might check the engine mo

"You might check the engine mounted wiring harness connector for corrosion. If the one wire has issues, maybe others will follow. Its also not usual to not have a neutral safety start switch."

"If the new wire goes directly

"If the new wire goes directly to the solenoid on the starter, yes - be concerned. That solenoid draws a lot of current and the 'extra length of wire won't help. Probably be okay for a while but would get the slave solenoid in there by the fall. Outside the harness is okay as long as it is protected."

Back