Logo

Steering 1989 Johnson 90 HP

bruce_pearce

Steering was completely frozen

Steering was completely frozen after winter storage. I have removed the tilt tube from the engine but still don't see how to get the cable out and replace it with a new one. How do you remove the old cable?

"if its that frozen,the usual,

"if its that frozen,the usual,rare case,would be to repl the tilt tube,as well,as steering system.."

Do you know how the cable is s

Do you know how the cable is supposed to come out to be replaced? I can't seem to get it to move through the tilt tube at all. When installing the new cable does it simply slide through the tilt cable?

"sure i do,..it should,...slid

"sure i do,..it should,...slide right out...but,corrosion welds the 2 together...new cable,gets greased well,inside and out,before...insertion....so to spk.."

Try moven the motor to the lef

Try moven the motor to the left or right to remove .If the motor is not bolted to the transom.

Try moven the motor to the lef

Try moven the motor to the left or right to remove .If the motor is not bolted to the transom.

"Actually have the tilt tube r

"Actually have the tilt tube right out and the motor off the transom. Still the cable won't move at all, I think force is the only option at this point."

"get a pair of bolt cutters,cu

"get a pair of bolt cutters,cut cable....order tilt tube and repl both steering,and tilt tube."

"Success. Got the cable out of

"Success. Got the cable out of the tilt tube and did everything imaginable to clean out the tilt tube. It is now moving better than ever. Pain in the butt getting it back together but steering better than it has in the last four years.

That was the good news. Put the boat in the water and everything worked great. STarted fine, spent two hours on the water and then hard to start. Got it started and had it idling at half speed, it just guit. No sputtering, missing, etc. just stopped. Have checked and it seems to have no spark to the plugs. Any suggestions?"

Back