Logo

1984 454 350 HP CrusadersCarburated or Injected

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
What are the Major differences

What are the Major differences between the 1984 454's and the newer models? Would the 84 be carburated?
Nightstalker

"84's are carbureted.

b

"84's are carbureted.

big difference is new stuff uses Gen VI design and 84 used Mark IV block.

ignition system changed, too

You can now opt for ECU 'oversight', too.

Most all new engines are LH where the counter-rotation is done by the gear."

"Thanks for the info. Just sta

"Thanks for the info. Just starting to learn about these engines. Owned a bunch of outboards and always did the maintenance, but these Crusaders are new beasts to me. It's funny to think that on IBOATS outboard forum, I answer the questions, here, I ask them.
nightstalker"

"Gary; you are in for a treat

"Gary; you are in for a treat. Crusaders were NOT designed by aliens. And, unlike outboards, they almost always give warning before structural failure! But yes, there are all those hoses, belts, points of fluid leaks..."

Dave:
That's good to k

Dave:
That's good to know. Guess I'll just have to start at the bottom and learn bit by bit. There was a time when I couldn't do much on outboards either.
Thanks
Nightstalker

"if you want even more good ne

"if you want even more good news, do an internet search on crusaders and david pascoe. he's a long term marine surveyor who usually has significant data to back his opinions. You'll find his thoughts on their package welcome news"

"Good idea. Met with a survey

"Good idea. Met with a surveyor last weekend, a man with 35 years of experience, he said the same thing as David Pascoe: Crusaders are tops.

Jeff"

I'll take a look at Pascoe

I'll take a look at Pascoe's data. I remember reading all of his info on what to look for when buying a vessel.
Nightstalker

"Wow, interesting article. Th

"Wow, interesting article. The only surprise I had was where he said "Total engine service life, SWC cooled engines with good maintenance: 10-12 years"

I should feel lucky that I'm going on 26 years with the same stock engines in my '83!! Granted, they are low hours (1000) and I don't push them to rated speed (to save the gas)."

YOUR boat will be a good buy i

YOUR boat will be a good buy if you sell it. Can't say the same for some of those morons I hear running 4 grand plus all the way down the river.

Jeff

"Don't forget, most of his

"Don't forget, most of his experience is OCEAN salt and I'd guess the bulk of that is ina and around FL - so it is hot and humid and with a long season...."

"After working on those vintag

"After working on those vintage v-twins, I have come to love my Crusaders and have learned so much that my apprehensions on offshore travel have almost dissappeared
"

Back