Logo

Nissan tohatsu 40 hp 20 years oldstalls at top speed

kevino

"Hey everyone.
I have had thi

"Hey everyone.
I have had this pontoon with the 40hp for about 1 month and it has run well. Just recently it has started stalling out when at 60% top speed or better after 10 to 30 seconds. It does this every time. So far it will run normally at half speed.
I have changed tanks, gas etc.. Acts the same. I have not changed out the gas line from the tank yet. It is grey and looks old. I have put in new spark plugs and checked the spacing. I see no crips in any gas line and have taken the carb off and taken to a marina to check out. It passed. Any thoughts. Thanks, Kevin"

"First, Thanks so much for the

"First, Thanks so much for the reply. Its nice to know I am not alone out here on this.
Second, What do you think is the best way to determine which System, fuel or ignition? Thanks again, kevin"

"Hey Guru,
and one more th

"Hey Guru,
and one more thing....If I pump the fuel line ball a few times every 10 second or so it continues to run. Thought that might help"

"Fuel system problem if the pu

"Fuel system problem if the pumping the bulb helps. Start at the tank, could be a pin hole leak somwhere, bad chaeckvalve in the bulb, leaking fuel connecter, bad fuel pump, etc.

And......Pick up a service manual if you plan to work on it yourself. You can't beat the diagnostic value of having a manual to look at when you are trying to fix something."

Back