Logo

1994 43 Merc Celebrity RUNS good For 20 Min then just falls on its face and Bogs down

brettdog53

"I have a 94 Celebrity with a

"I have a 94 Celebrity with a 4.3 Merc and went to lake ran great for 20 minutes and then she just started cutting out. Couldnt even open throttle all the way up or it would die. It would idle find but it would have a rough idle once in a while...

So i thought it was fuel problem so i bought a new fuel pump and filter and cleaned out carb... Went out to lake again Ran awesome for 20 minutes and still does the same thing as the first time i went out... NOw dont really know what to try this time besides maybe a coil now, because i dont think its a fuel issue due to the fact that it runs great for 20 mintues or so.... so if anyone has any ideas let me know!! Or i might just sell the boat! lol"

"We understand your frustratio

"We understand your frustration we've all been there many times.

If the engine cuts out quickly its usually an ignition issue, as a fuel related will putter out a bit slower(tough to describe)

Ignition issues like this have happened before, I suggest you use the search feature and do a little reading for some ideas', sometimes it can be simple as a bad connection at the dash, even a bad ignition switch or circuit breaker.

Could be a few different things, it's not a good idea to just change parts chasing it.

Could be coil, ignition module, wiring. When it cuts out is when you need to check some things, like spark and fuel in and at the carb. Do the accellerator pump jets squirt ? does it have spark? how are the plug wires? are they in tight? you might have a bad coil wire, causing the coil to over heat?"

"A failing tach can do it; dis

"A failing tach can do it; disconnect it and try. Perform the following tests next time it quits.

Tests for Thunderbolt Ignition:
W/ignition key on AND BILGE WELL VENTILATED OF GAS FUMES!!!

#1 - Connect your voltmeter neg. lead to the engine ground and pos. lead to the white/red wire terminal at the dist. It should read 12 volts.

#2 - If 12 volts is present, remove the coil spark wire from the distributor and connect it to a spark gap tester to ground. Remove the white/green lead from the dist. terminal. Turn the ign. key to on and strike the white/green lead to ground. If there is spark, replace the ignition sensor in the dist.

#3 - If there is no spark, substitute a new coil and repeat test #2. Now if you get spark, install a new coil. NO SPARK, replace ign. amp.

#4 - In #2, if there is No voltage present, disconnect the white/red wire and check it again for 12 volts. If 12 volts is present, replace the ignition sensor inside the dist. cap. If no 12 volts present w/it disconnected--ignition amplifier is shot and must be replaced."

Back