Logo

Johnson 30hp red lever id

fishingconi

Contributing Member
hi i have a johnson 30hp elect

hi i have a johnson 30hp electric start outboard
i got it with my boat when i bought it the guy showed me with the hood off a red lever you turn before starting up after a while it returns to its origanal position is this something to do with choke

"You are referring to the &#39

"You are referring to the 'Primer Solenoid'.
It may be operated two ways:
Turn ign 'ON' -push key in.-start engine.
Turn manually 90 degree, start engine, turn lever back.
If using manually, You have to be quick to turn it back. An alternative might be to turn it, then press the primer-bulb, turn back and start."

hi interesting i have an o.m.c

hi interesting i have an o.m.c ign set up so i put key in push key and turn key to start without touching the red lever

regards ian

"Almost.
In key - turn - Push

"Almost.
In key - turn - Push and turn to start.
Note that engine might over-prime if You hold it IN too much, but sure You will learn the trick.
If You turn key to ign ON, and push in, You should hear a 'click' which is the activation of the solenoid."

Just drop back on the board if

Just drop back on the board if You need help. 'Someone' will probably be around.

"Hey Mort ... Overprime .... d

"Hey Mort ... Overprime .... do you mean Flood ?

I call that process the holy trinity on my rig .... turn , push (Click) Start. thats how I start ALL THE TIME..... is it advisable to not start by pushing in all the time... maybe thats why my rig gets a bit finicky starting towards the end of the day , Flooding the bugger .... could that be the readson ? thanks"

"David:
Engines have 'sou

"David:
Engines have 'souls'. Some only needs to be primed first start in the morning, some needs it every time. Try to change to:Turn -start - push later in the day. If engine starts without 'push', just keep on."

Back