Logo

Carbie overhaul

rude70

Contributing Member
"I have finished the rebuild o

"I have finished the rebuild of my '77 70HP power head - but not the carbs. I have run it for an hour or so in a tank, on the trailer. I have read many articles on this forum and I guess that I should overhaul them - especially since I think it runs a little rich since harldy any choke is needed when starting in cold weather (50oF) and when it has been run at home, tilt it and take it to the ramp, I have to start it as if it has flooded - ie throttle open. In overhauling the carbs, what is the "float height" measurement? Any other advice?

Thanks"

"(Carburetor Float Setting

"(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Joe, thanks I have read your

"Joe, thanks I have read your other threads on cleaning the jets with very tin pieces of wire. So I assume that I do not have to pull the whole thing apart! Should I go to the expense of replacing the needle & seat, or just clean her up and use a new float bowl gasket? Thanks"

"hi Richard, it sounds like yo

"hi Richard, it sounds like you have gone to some effort/expense doing a rebuild on the powerhead.. I would really think a carb strip/careful clean of jets and so on, and at least a needle and seat replacement, would be money and time well spent.. (plus float height check)
you could also critically examine the needles/jets (I am not familiar with the carbs/engine) - if it's seen many years use, replacing these bits could make a good difference to emissions, economy, performane etc

John

I should have my Elcia 60HP evinrude in a few days, also needing a powerhead rebuild/change as it comes with a holed piston .. I should know a bit more about these engines soon..."

"Thanks John, I read somewhere

"Thanks John, I read somewhere that you can test the needle & seat by inverting the carb and gently blowingon the fuel line - to tst for leaks. I intend to clean & check the float hieght - if budget allows I will replace needle & seats"

"I must admit, I often do that

"I must admit, I often do that test as a matter of course, to be honest, if you do and there is no leak then you should be right

Invert carb, blow and gently press float down (closed) you should soon not be able to blow anymore.."

"The carburetor is off obvious

"The carburetor is off obviously. Set the float, attach the fuel line to it, pump the bulb. If it doesn't flood, the float needle valve is usable."

"carb kits,are cheap.....alway

"carb kits,are cheap.....always,clean,and rebuild w/new parts....it pays off in the long run.."

Back