Logo

Converting analog tachos to digital on my 454bsl

silv360oz

"morning guys.....

I've

"morning guys.....

I've received anecdotal evidence that there is a company producing a conversion kit that I can replace my totally inaccurate Faria tachos on my Silverton 360 ('97 454's) with a digital readout showing current RPM's.

Currently I'm seeing one engine on the gauge at 4400rpm and the other at 4000 - but when checked with a digital rpm meter they are both running the same.

I'm going to be adding in Flo-Scan in a couple of months so all of this is building up to get the system working together.

Is it feasible, does such a gizmo exist or is my marine mechanic on some type of drugs that is bending his power of thought and reasoning ;-)
My"

"I haven't seen any conver

"I haven't seen any conversion kit and can't fathom anybody seriously marketing one. I have seen "digital replacements" that will fit into the existing hole in the instrument panel, where the analog tach goes. going this route eliminates the need for the needle so there no converting needed. The basic tach function is nothing more than a frequency to voltage converter; the trick to getting it well-behaved is the filtering required.

I think floScan has a version that integrates many standalone gauge functions into a single display...you may want to explore this as adding a couple of tachs to the price of the basic floscan may be more than the full-featured floscan. being fully integrated can only help with the integration and will save $$ (or time)."

"I bought two Flowscan 7000&#3

"I bought two Flowscan 7000's. Eliminates the need for a syncro gauge, you get digital tachs, hourmeters, flowmeters, and totalizers."

"Dave - I just checked out Flo

"Dave - I just checked out Flowscan's site. Now when it is for a dual motor set-up, do you get two gauges for the $500ish? It specifically states 2 engine boat, but in the wording says something about a switch for each motor (making the assumption one gauge that you switch between)? I'm confused..."

"Mike:

the 5500 uses ONE ga

"Mike:

the 5500 uses ONE gauge for both engines; I'd suspect the 7000 is no different. You can get the installation instructions off their www site for the details.

on the 5500, I've got two switches: one for engine selection and one for reseting the total consumed display. I'g guess you need another to activate the SYNC function."

"Well; If you want to replace

"Well; If you want to replace two analog tachs with digital, you will need two FS7000's. You will get simultaneous data for each engine. You will need two, small pushbuttons on the dash to reset each totalizer. Using a single 7000 for two engines is not something I would consider, although FS does allow two flow sensors to feed one instrument and a dash switch to control which sensor and tach data is displayed."

"Mark:

I have no sync funct

"Mark:

I have no sync function. I adjust for equal rpm readings on the two displays. They are totally independant. In fact, to get total fuel consumed, you need to mentally add both totalizers.
I like to monitor consumption for each. One time, an ignition wire went out, and it showed a higher fuel consumption immediately."

guess the sync function only s

guess the sync function only shows up on the twin versions.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the bad wire scenario. I heard the 'change' and went straight to the floscan. Toggling the selector switch verified the problem which was fixed that evening.

"Thanks for your info guys. I

"Thanks for your info guys. I think I will just get a new Faria tacho to replace the dodgey one on-board and when the flo-scan system goes in I'll rejoice in that providing better stats of how much those beasts are slurping. Since the props have been re-done we are certainly getting better speed and full burn, got more of a smile on our faces now."

You need an Aqua Meter Ensign

You need an Aqua Meter Ensign 735. It is a single digital display that will show RPM for each engine and also has a sync indicator. Good luck finding one sine they are no longer made.

"This may be a slight hijacki

"This may be a slight hijacking, but I have the single gauge 5500 as well with a toggle switch between port and starboard fuel flow meters.

The LCD totalizer behaves a little odd. The LCD display has a reset switch (momentary off) which is fed through the unswitched 12 V positive side of the ignition; it resets the total gallons consumed by both engines. The LCD totalizer display is always "on" even when the engines are not running. The only exception is when you reset it, in which case it turns off and then comes back on displaying "0.0" gallons. This doesn't seem quite right. Souldn't the totalizer LCD display be "off" unless the flowscan gauge is powered on, i.e. switched on by the ignition "run" wire the gauge is connected to?

Mako, how does your totalizer work? The LCD display on mine can't be turned off without reseting it."

Like yours.

Seem to remembe

Like yours.

Seem to remember having a chat w/ tech support on this. the design 'study' they used said this was a desirable approach. Most beta testers said having the display go off with the key was undesirable as they'd have to have the key on (with the usual warning horn going off) to recall the totalizer values with the fuel info in the log.

I adapted fairly quickly. We usually leave the reset switch in the CLEAR (off) position when leaving the boat. (I didn't use a momentary switch but a regular SPST toggle switch.)

"Thanks Mako. Your post confi

"Thanks Mako. Your post confirms there is nothing more to do. The previous owner had wired mine through a "momentary on" switch, and of course it wasn't working. I took the switch apart while on the hook one day and with a little reconfiguration of the contact rocker it became a SPST toggle switch just like yours. I usually leave it in the "off" position too but you have to remember to turn it on before a trip or the totalizer function is defeated. I would have to say they got the design wrong on this one..."

Back