Logo

Estimate of GPH burn on my Crusaders

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
"I just bought a 1984 40'

"I just bought a 1984 40' Uniflite aft cabin with twin 454's (350 HP). The vessel weighs 35,000 Lbs. I know a lot of variables go into determining how many gallons an hour any vessel burns but I'm looking for a questimate. She's rated at 14 knots at cruising speed and 19 knots wide open. What might my burn be at crusing speed, etc? I'm trying to figure out if I have to have my wife get a second job to fuel up the rig.
Nightstalker"

Very heavy boat. I would esti

Very heavy boat. I would estimate somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 gph per engine at 14-16 knots is the best you will do.

"I would guess to get 15 kts y

"I would guess to get 15 kts you will need to turn 3500rpm, that would burn about 35-38 gallons/hr total."

what gear (reduction ratio

what gear (reduction ratio) is installed?

Any idea how big the prop is?

I'd have her filling out applications if you plan to spend much time at cruise; you can always take her out to dinner more often if the fuel bill isn't large.

"I would guess that with a boa

"I would guess that with a boat that heavy, if you can 20 GPH per engine you will be extremely lucky. I have a 96 372 Motor Yacht that cruises at 18 knots (3500 RPM) at 35 GPH (for both). The boat weighs about 20000 pounds."

Back