Logo

1989 Yamaha 8hp wont runidle without the choke on

dk79

"Hello !

I have some runnin

"Hello !

I have some running/idling issues with this engine , it's been stored for one full year so i guess that is just blocked/gummed carb ..

Anyway , it starts easily but only with the choke pulled out - as soon as i turn the choke off it dies out immediately ... it simply wont idle or run without the choke , i can't start it either without the choke ..
I tried to "catch" it just before turning the choke off by adding the throttle but with zero effect - same thing , it dies so quickly as soon as i push the choke knob back inside ..

Is this gummed carb problem or something else ?!

Thanks !
Damir"

"Hi Damir,take the carbi off,a

"Hi Damir,take the carbi off,and clean it out,use that carb cleaner spray can,very good stuff.make sure all the jets are clean,put together with fresh fuel,and good luck.7pm wed"

"Yes , i dismantled the carb y

"Yes , i dismantled the carb yesterday and found gummy deposits all around the inside passages (the bowl especially , but the jets where partially blocked as well ..), cleaned all the crap out with carb cleaner and compressed air , and now im in the process of waiting gasket kit so that i can assemble the carb back , bolt it on and give it a try !

Thanks for info Ian !

Regards
Damir"

"Great.ill give u a tip,from m

"Great.ill give u a tip,from mechanic to mechanic.think of problems with outboards as just like a car.if a car had the same problems as you have just found,what would you have done?an outboard is just an engine,2 or 4 stroke,alright a few different things added,but still got a water pump,g/box,driveshaft,carbie,fuelpump,pistons,head etc etc.just a thought."

"Yes quite right , i agree wit

"Yes quite right , i agree with you ! , funny tough i fix cars since i was 18 (im 30 now !) been working at my mates mechanic garage for a few years when I started , when I was 18 , and afterwards I proceed with this mechanic stuff but mostly on my own working at home fixing cars for friends , neighbours , local people etc. , and , in fact I proceed further to “teach myself” (by reading a lot of books , by gathering informations from the people from internet tech. based forums , and then practicing all this learned stuff in real life on real examples/engines !) how to repair/modify car engines , how to fix/test car electrics/engine management sensors , bodywork repairs , even more complex stuff such as performance cylinder head porting/engine blueprinting ! As I wanted but couldn't learn all this stuff at my mates garage , so I had to teach myself on more higher level up from the basic mechanic repairs ...

But I do not have any practice with the two stroke , motorbike or outboard engines ! and not so much with the carburetors either (as i've been working on EFI engines mostly ..) .. anyway i've build up a practice that i always ask others for advice regarding some specific subject (even when im 99% sure whats wrong and what to do in order to fix that by myself !) and I tend to ask as much people as possible , for which I know that they're competent , as like this gathering information as it helped me a lot during the years of this mechanical stuff cos someone might know an easier way or share new trick in order to fix the problem or modify the engine .. and on top of that I always want to be 110% sure that im gonna proceed with fixing the problem properly and quality .

Race engine builder said to me once – you need to trust your instinct , if something looks wrong , it probably is ... and thats very true !

So , now , im in the process of learning bits and pieces about two stroke engines … need to buy a few books about outboard engines and a few scrap engines for practice !

Regards
Damir"

Back