Logo

Gearset

valor21

"I`m putting a new gearset in

"I`m putting a new gearset in my 48hp evinrude and not sure about shimming the input shaft, would like to know how and why you shim this shaft?"

"Shims are necessary to get th

"Shims are necessary to get the alignment precise enough to allow the gears to mesh together without damaging each other.

Most of us who work out of our garages do not attempt to figure which shims are required etc - I have always found it easiest to let a shop with a jig to that - ya it cost you a bit of labour, but much better than toasting a new set of gears because you didn't get them set up properly."

"All the shop need is the comp

"All the shop need is the complete driveshaft with pinion, bearing/bearing housing and shims. You do not have to bring the whole gearcase. The measurement/shimming is a 5 min job."

"I didn`t know if shimming was

"I didn`t know if shimming was to fit the gearset or to preload the bearing, I guess it would not be a good idea to just put the shims back in that came out"

"It's for shimming the gea

"It's for shimming the gears. Upper drive shaft bearing is not pre-loaded.
You may normally change bearings without the need of re-shimming, but changing gear-sets is a different thing."

"I would'nt call it a &#39

"I would'nt call it a '5 min' job,at all,..each,and everytime,that assm has to be torqued to spec;s...first time to short,next time,to long.....--.020 is the norm,shim clearance,sometimes it takes many shims,of diff thickness,to achieve this....... professionally!"

Back