Logo

Trip Report New Jersey

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"Shoot....The bahamas it ain&#

"Shoot....The bahamas it ain't...! Sorry Dave... On the other hand we had to move the boat finally to its new home in South Jersey and went abotu 60+ miles from Brick to the Great Bay area by the Mullica River. As hoped, the trip was uneventful, temps never hit 150...Oil was great, even fuel consumption was just barely 52 gallons. Cruised with those big props at about 2200-2400 rpm with a cruise speed around 19 knots. The sea was great with under 3 foot rolls light winds and the economy part of the Garmin unit read .9 nmpg most of the trip. It did take 4 hours but a fun 4 hours. The Little Egg Inlet also shoals and some places go from 20 feet to 3 in a VERY short distance. Made in thru nicley and while I am alway apprenshive and anxious for the first trip, it was fine."

Thanks Rick... You know that y

Thanks Rick... You know that you were one of my BIG INFLUENCES along with several others here on ME.Com and the end result has been terrific...

Thanks Again

Sounds like its time to go loo

Sounds like its time to go lookin' for bluefins!

Glad things are working much better now.

"Hey Mark... I am hoping to ha

"Hey Mark... I am hoping to have some time to experiment with the fishing in that area. My dilema is 1.) work has gotten more time consuming (not more profitable) and 2.) my wife tells me she is not interested in boating this year, she has too many things going on....and with over 33 yrs under our belt...?
I see a problem ahead regardless"

"Sounds like you are ready for

"Sounds like you are ready for conversion to the school of a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

completely understand of the spousal redirection; I'm fortunate in that I'll never hear that she's not interested in boating mine....

Those problems are all relative. Remember, bluefin are highly migratory and can 'disappear' for sustained periods of time. I learned the hard way ~ 15 years ago, with those giants in hatteras. My buddies went and I always had something else going on. The first "off" year was when i finally went down...they really haven't been back in any similar quantity since...Live and learn."

Last summer my friend went out

Last summer my friend went out to Hudson Canyon and came back with a 320lb sword they had caught about 3:30 am...The eye was the size of a baseball and from the gill plate to the nose had to be 4 feet long...

"Those overnight trips are wor

"Those overnight trips are worth all the hassle to execute!

One I have a found memory of was in august (last century), on a friend's 28ft Mako. Twin outboards which would flat out fly but didn't idle worth a darn...very slow tuna bite in the mouth of the norfolk canyon...about 2:30 we see a monster dorsal fin ~ 100ft behind the boat, in the slick. Shook the chum bucket and threw a handleful of butters out. a minute later and check the chum bucket - gone - without a sound. Back to the cutting board and here she comes. Well over 1000# of solid mako, and she swam under the boat right under me. If I would have jumped on her back my legs wouldn't have gone down to her pec fins...anyhow, a couples minutes later she's inhaled a whole butterfish, tied w/o a leader, straight to a 50# rig. Hook set and she didn't even react. a couple more hook sets and she swims off, in front of the boat. Angler yells he's lost it. 30 seconds later, the generator cuts out. I cut the line.

Turns out the fish wasn't off but coming back for more food (collective conclusion). She swam right under the boat and as the swell moved under, the boat 'landed' on her back and her tail thrash sent the boat onto its chine which was enough to trip the tilt switch on the generator. The splash popped the bulb on the 'downhill side'.

Nobody ever questioned my call to cut the line."

"GEEZ...Mark, That is a good

"GEEZ...Mark, That is a good one. I 'll bet that is a memory you can never forget. I can only add that infamous line from a VERY popular shark movie of the 1970's ....

" we got a taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see's what I brung 'em. "

or maybe this one instead....

" we're gonna need a bigger boat ""

"Al - i'm very blessed, re

"Al - i'm very blessed, really lucky, or have adequate coverage in both areas because I have several 'permanently ingrained' memories from many trips off our coast.

I'm just hoping my kids can see some of what has been shared with me. Time will tell..."

"UPDATE: Went out fishing to

"UPDATE: Went out fishing to Little Egg Reef again... Those oversized props are doing a great job so far....We cruise at about 2400 RPM at 21 knots. fuel is .7 to .9 nm per gallon and never was better than .6, with the old 3 blade 18x20's . The new WOT still around 3600 but she'll hit 31 knots at that RPM...Our biggest problem lately is the transducer on the 4212 Garmin decides to shut down on its' own EVERY time we get to the shoals of the inlet. If I pull the transducer wire from the unit and plug in back within seconds...it works and then goes out 25-30 more times, then works for the rest of the day.!

Garmin thinks it is a transducer going bad...I still don't buy that idea as when it works AFTER the shutdown, it works fine ALL DAY LONG!

Either way...the water in the southern sections of Barnegat bay are very shallow and the green flies still suck...

On the other hand...boat runs GREAT !"

modern electronics......aren&#

modern electronics......aren't you glad they aren't on your engines????

You didn't mention the fishing - like the greenheads?

"Fishing was actually OK... Ni

"Fishing was actually OK... Nice Sea Bass , skates and a few fluke 16" or less

ZERO greenheads on the ocean or at the fuel dock in Beach Haven...Once we were back towards the Great Bay...........AGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife now ALMOST refuses to go because of those pesky things...and NO, Listerene does not work !

As for the Garmin ...It has been FABULOUS for the previous two season... I have vigorously maintained the unit and updates so this little hiccup truly gets me. AND they have not explained to me WHY they would believe it is a transducer going bad... IF I could understand why, then I might agree BUT AS YOU KNOW...there are way too many times that the simple way is just change the parts out....IF it were so true, where would I find an updraft Zenith carbureator for a 1925 EXCELSIOR !...
"

"My wife swears by skin so sof

"My wife swears by skin so soft, more for the noseeums but she says it helps with the greenheads.

did it start after an update??? Sometimes (most times) the software will be 'checked out' and compatibility declared.....then you update and stuff gets unstable. Turns out, there's a pot full of assumptions regarding hardware revisions and 'compatibility'. I can't speak for Garmin but can say the trend is pretty prevalent in many computer-based industries."

"If your wife isn't attack

"If your wife isn't attacked by greenheads, look out! See's gotta be an alien from outer space.

Jeff"

"OK, i'll bite. What'

"OK, i'll bite. What's a greenhead, i take its a bug or fly? And AL, these skates you fish for; they are a kind of stingray, right?
this is what I get for spending too much time down here..."

"greenhead

type of fly...sl

"greenhead

type of fly...slightly larger than normal house fly.

Frequents salt marsh areas, especially along the Mid-Atlantic barrier islands.

Known for brilliant green coloration of its head and pain bite it inflicts.

Sworn by many to be carnivorous though scientific data supporting this claim is thin. Seems to prefer human victims but is not above attacking any warm blooded animal."

"Jeff...There are times I ques

"Jeff...There are times I question the alien part.

Mark...The update was a part of a recent change and the problem developed a week later but so far they claim as you said....NOT US ! As for skin so soft...we have several bottles on board, also helps to remove black shoe scuff marks on the fiberglass.

Dave..I'll send a few greenheads your way..just put your arm in the box...having blood drawn is so much easier"

"maybe worth reseating the new

"maybe worth reseating the newer network cables. Sad to say, but we've had some very high-end stuff at work that occasionally would be 'restored' by reseating connectors...can't hurt anything."

"Mark, We think alike...tried

"Mark, We think alike...tried it several times and while it restores activity, it goes out again in the same random patern."

"I was thinking both ends of a

"I was thinking both ends of all them cables...you can also try the wiggle test. depending upon how long the controller checks for activity, it may not get much."

"You might consider "ProGO

"You might consider "ProGOld". Correction: Its now called DeOxIT Gold. G5MS-15. My company uses this stuff for gold on gold electrical contacts to prevent fretting corrosion and the like. Of course, it won't fix broken wire strands.
wink.gif
"

"Dave..Thanks, found it at Rad

"Dave..Thanks, found it at Radio Shack and it reads like it may do what it is supposed to....Time will tell."

We went to the 21 x 23 4 blade

We went to the 21 x 23 4 blade and in the spring they will be replaced by 20 x 21 4 blade. SHould be just right..... I hope

Thank you for the info Al. Was

Thank you for the info Al. Was the 21x23 to much? I have 454's in my boat it is 34 foot luhrs was going to change my props this winter the numbers you posted before looked great doing 19kn at 2400rpms in order for me to get to 19 kn i got to push it 3400rpms. How big is your boat?

"We run a twin 454 powered Sil

"We run a twin 454 powered Silverton 34C. While we had good numbers, we were very limited on RPM range since our WOT had dropped so much by the big props. IF the percentage of running rpm at cruise would be at 4400, fine but that same ratio at 3200 would mean the best we should be running is still too slow for our purposes.
The "off the line" "pedal to the metal" performance was GREAT. The bite of the props for slow speed maneuvering and backing...also GREAT. We just can;t go from 3 blade to 4 blade and 18x20 to those monsters"

Back