Logo

Honda BF90A chokes and dies in gear

sittingidle

"Recently bought a 2004 Honda

"Recently bought a 2004 Honda 90 - drained old gas, changed fuel filters, plugs and oil. Idles fine, reverse good - chokes and dies during acceleration - can't even get it up to speed. Could be the carbs? How about the idle air control valve - heard something about that to and where in the heck is it? Also, during high revving we've heard a ppffttt, ppffttt, sound occasionally(sorry, only way to describe but it sounds like air being sucked. Any thoughts would be appreciated."

"Definately sounds like dirty/

"Definately sounds like dirty/clogged carb - that "cough or sneeze" is usually caused by a lean carb condition (not enough gas getting though).

Would suspect your high speed jets, but best to pull, disassemble and clean the carbs - only way to get all the "cooties" out."

"I agree with Graham totally.

"I agree with Graham totally. Sounds like carbs to me.
Heres a simple test........... have your motor running ( preferably in a tank ) , and wind each idle mixture screw in fully, see which cylinder has little/no difference.......... its usually a good indication of the offending carby. But as all 4 need to be removed, it pays to do them all. Simply spraying carb cleaner thru the intake is a complete waste of time and money. It dosnt get to the blockage, its internal sadly... See how ya go."

"Mine would do that from time

"Mine would do that from time to time, until I checked the thermostat. it was corroded in the open position so the motor did not get to operating temp. Replaced the t-stat and motor ran well!
Nick"

Back