Logo

99 Gamefisher flooding

soothsayer

"I just purchased a 1991 9.9 G

"I just purchased a 1991 9.9 Gamefisher motor that will only run with the fuel line removed after the bowl has been filled with fuel. As soon as I put the line back on, when the bowl is running empty, the motor stalls out and it's flooded. I have taken the carb off and cleaned it and the float seems fine. I need help, my son wants to go fishing this weekend."

I would always start with the

I would always start with the obvious (not being cheeky ) but is the wee needle valve still there ? and is it still in contact with the float so that it can shut fuel supply off at correct height

The needle valve is there. I

The needle valve is there. I replaced it when I cleaned the carb. I purchased a factor manual which is not much help with this issue. I am stumped. It appears that the lower cylinder floods more than the top if that helps.

"can you turn carb up and blow

"can you turn carb up and blow into fuel line , you should not be able to as the weight of the float should seal the needle valve , another thing is to make sure float is not puntured, put it in a bowl of petrol and check for air bubbles (keep it held under fuel level )after a while skake float and see if fuel has entered"

forgot to mention float should

forgot to mention float should shut of fuel supply normaly when it is sitting at right angle to carb body

"If it passes the "blow&#3

"If it passes the "blow" test, you may have a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm. That would put enough fuel in the engine to kill it."

Back