Logo

Oil leaking around prop

bowpb07

"Found some oil leaking around

"Found some oil leaking around prop. Checked it out and do not believe it is gear lube.
287062.jpg
"

"Large slotted screw on skeg o

"Large slotted screw on skeg of lower unit is the drain screw. Loosen it and check the color and density of the gearlube. If this is not what you see leaking, I'd suspect that the substance is simply the unburnt fuel/oil mixture running down and out of the long carbon and soot lined exhaust housing.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

i checked the gear lube. This

i checked the gear lube. This is definently oil from the exhaust. Is this something I should be concerened with.

if the motor runs good i would

if the motor runs good i would not worry about it...you may check compression..good to do that occasionally anyway...run a couple cans of sea foam thru it just for a general cleanup and run the hell out of it...it is normal to not burn all the fuel/oil mix..depending on how you run the motor..a 2 cycle engine is designed to run at the top end..running at idle or low rpm too much is not good...i have a long no wake run to get out of my camp area and to get back in...hate it..

Back