Logo

Hard starting 30

suntoy

I have a 1989 3.0 Omc with 2bb

I have a 1989 3.0 Omc with 2bbl. Everything has been timed and tuned so why is it so hard to crank in the water and on land it cranks right up. I really have to turn the engine over alot before it hits and fires. Any suggestions to help this issue. Thanks

No- wouldn't turn over if

No- wouldn't turn over if it was engage because of safety netural switch. Someone said that it's because of exhuast build up in engine that has to be blown out before engine would crank. If this is so is there a way to help this problem. Thanks

"What do you mean by "Hard

"What do you mean by "Hard to Crank", it will be harder to start because of the exhaust pressure but is it turning over slower or taking longer to fire?"

The engine turns over find. I

The engine turns over find. If hooked up to water hose engine will fire up everytime within 2 or 3 revolutions. Put her in the water and you have to turn the heak out of it to fire. Appreciate any input. Thanks

"compression test the engine.

"compression test the engine.
As Bob is suggesting, A tired engine can have trouble starting with the restriction of the back pressure with the exhaust being submerged 16" or so under water.
Whereas on land there's no back pressure.
Improper ignition timing can also cause this.
btw,
Turning Over = Cranking
Ignore the exhaust build up idea and the person suggesting it."

Back