Logo

Mercury 150 Hard Start when Hot

gatorman

"Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

"Ian,

Thanks for the reply. That was the original way I started, but I can't seem to get that result anymore. The whole pumping the primer bulb is a recent activity to determine if I'm having to compensate for fuel pressure leak in my mind.

Question: Should the primer bulb stay hard all the time? The Seloc manuals mention Fuel Pressure leaks, but my tank is built into the boat and I can't find a fuel pressure valve."

"Hi,when a motor has been goin

"Hi,when a motor has been going,the primer bulb will generally allow a small squeeze,but shouldnt need actual pumping.the fuel pump is "sucking"[awful word] fuel thru the primer bulb,and the oneway valves stop the fuel draining back into the tank[plus the vacuum created].Needle valves in the carbis could also be leaking,allowing flooding when stopped"

"That's what I thought, bu

"That's what I thought, but this is my first outboard in 20 years of boating. The primer bulb need about 20 solid squeezes to get hard again.

How do you test a needle valve leak?"

"You shouldnt need to pump 20

"You shouldnt need to pump 20 times.I
sun.gif
d buy a new primer bulb,they dont last long.about 3 or 4 good sqeezes should be ample,and if u can c into the carbies,there shouldnt be any excess fuel dripping out[indicating needle valves dirty or worn]Might need a marine shop to check it out,unless Graham has some suggestions.carb rebuilds?"

"Well, here's one that ha

"Well, here's one that has driven me to question. I spent weeks trying to diagnose this issue. Couldn't figure it out, so took it in to the shop.

The culprit...a bad CDI module. Now I've spent weeks trying to determine how I could have identified this. SELOC has been no help.

Gatorman"

Back