Logo

Which fuel pump for 1980 CH220

lazybones_ii

I have twin Crusader 220's

I have twin Crusader 220's on a 1980 Silverton. My STBD engine is not getting any fuel to the carb. But each engine has a different fuel pump. I'm not sure which one is correct.. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure it's the pump

Are you sure it's the pump? A plugged line/ filter/ water separator or anti-syphon valve will choke out any fuel pump.

Jeff

"Well, I'm not absolutely

"Well, I'm not absolutely sure... going to trouble shoot and find out for sure tomorrow. But filters were just changed two months ago and I just returned from a boat trip a couple weeks ago and both engines ran flawlessly right up till I shut them down at the dock. Then a week ago I wanted to run the engines a little but couldn't get the starboard engine to start and found that there was no gas at the carb. Just assuming it's a pump gone bad. in the process I did notice that each engine had a different pump so if I do need a pump, I'm not sure which one I should use for a reference. I will definately check the filters again though... simple/cheapest things first, right."

"That's different! Both o

"That's different! Both of my engines are hard starting after the boat sits for a week. The gas in the carbs evaporates, and the fuel pumps have to work a bit to refill them (translation: crank, crank, crank). I'm so sick to death of this that I installed a primer system using an electric pump to shoot gas into the motor for cold starting. Another "cure" is to pull the flame arrestor, spray carb cleaner into the motor (throttle opened), then replace the flame arrestor, then crank.

A good reason for electric fuel pumps with a cold starting bypass system!

Jeff"

I have never had this problem

I have never had this problem before... usually I prime the engine a few times with the throttle and crank and she starts... Heck it even started fairly easy after sitting all winter. These engines have always been pretty good to me as far as starting goes. But in any case even if the pump isn't bad I would like to order the correct one so I can carry a spare on board in case one of them decides to give out while out in the future while underway.

"There's more than one pum

"There's more than one pump (different manufacturers) that will fit those small blocks. As long as the inlet, outlet, and sight tube fittings are in the correct orientation, you should be in good shape (no modifications required). The steel lines require correct orientation (vs being close enough) unless you are going to run new tubing.

Don't forget those canister filters and any shut-off valves when you check things again."

Thanks Makomark. That sets my

Thanks Makomark. That sets my mind at ease. Heading down there now to check everything out. will post what I find tonight or tomorrow.

Back