Logo

The Shift Cable on OMC Cobra

artic429

"I was out yesterday and I had

"I was out yesterday and I had to use reverse , when i went to go back into drive, the engine was still engauged in reverse. When i started checking it out, it turned out that the black plastic piece that goes up by the ESA switch that holds the end of the cable had the 2 little retaining bolts loose. I slipped the cable back in the plastic end and i tightened the bolt up a little too tight and stripped the one side out. what the heck is the name of this thing and where can i go to get it? I stole someone elses picture to show this but its the same thing. Its that black piece at the very bottom with the square bolt heads comming out of it.
286963.jpg
"

"that is part of the shift cab

"that is part of the shift cable and I do not think it is sold seperatly. you can get the cable from this site OEM number is 987661 and the sierra number is 18-2245-1. those numbers are for the cobra if you have a king cobra the part numbers are OEM 987678 and sierra 18-2246. when you go to replace the cable look over the instructions at this web site www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/ read and reread these drives are very tepramental to get adjusted correctly hope this helped you out"

"its a 1988 cobra outdrive. Af

"its a 1988 cobra outdrive. After i got the screws turned in and the cable was set, I could actually take off. forward and reverse was no problem again. My girlfriend decided to take off in the boat later on and she said she was stuck in reverse again and messed around with it and finally( from what i assumed, not what she would admit to) was that the RPMs were high and she rammed the boat into forward! So i dont know how much damage she caused but im sure its not for the best of the boat. I was just thinking that if the end piece of the shifter linkage was replaced and the shifter cable was adjusted that it would be fine. Im gonna try to work out a few kinks and hope she didnt shell out the outdrive."

Back