Logo

Adapt an outdrive from a 43lx to a straight 6 merc 165

currenjw

"I have a Bertram 20 with a me

"I have a Bertram 20 with a mercruiser 165 with a bad old outdrive. I've acquired an Alpha 1, gen II outdrive with a 4.3lx engine in bad shape.
Can I hookup the alpha outdrive to the 165 by changing the exaust y with a single?"

what year is the 165hp ? inlin

what year is the 165hp ? inline 6 ?

can I ask what you paid for the v6 and drive ?

replacing the old drive would've cost you about 1295 for a complete unit

"[b]"Can I hookup the alph

""Can I hookup the alpha outdrive to the 165 by changing the exaust y with a single?"

Ayuh,... That's Not the only fitment Issue you're going to run into....
The rear motor mounts are spaced differently,...
The Input shaft on the drive is a Different length...
And,... I'm Sure there are More..."

"alpha 1 Gen II outdrive with

"alpha 1 Gen II outdrive with assoc parts is a nice upgrade, can get up to 210hp(4bbl vortec heads and intake) with basic merc parts, more if you want to do head work.

Only problem is if you have an I drive the transom mount and gimbal housing mount holes are different on the transom."

Thanks for the help.I had boug

Thanks for the help.I had bought a bare hull which had filled in the transom. tapping tells me the job is questionable so I'll rebuild it from the inside.Then look for a well qualified guy to install the outdrive after he reseals it.New pump too.Can you reccommend a guy near Hollywood fl.My mechanic good buddy moved away
and I'v lost touch with the good machine shops.
I seek reliability not speed. Ill flush all hydraulics and

"Your earlier question.... wh

"Your earlier question.... what did I pay?....
I bought a whole boat(19'Monterey) and have removed engine and outdrive etc, Cost$700. Only the begining of the cost."

"not bad, good luck with findi

"not bad, good luck with finding someone down there.. All hobbies and loves come at a price."

Back