Logo

Volvo Penta 2002 frozen engine

svsolstice

I have a volvo Penta 2002 that

I have a volvo Penta 2002 that has sat for 6 years and now the engine is frozen. It had just had a complete top end overhaul and only 3 hours on it before the fuel pump went out. Then the owner let it sit for 6 years. Can't turn the engine with the hand crank starter and haven't tried using the electric starter for fear of damaging the motor. What is the best way to unfreeze the motor?

I'd pull the injectors and

I'd pull the injectors and pour a little marvel mystery oil in the cylinders. Let it soak for a couple of days. You'll want to get as much excess oil out of the cylinders as you can after it breaks free and you'll need to change the lube oil in short order. It will smoke A LOT when it starts.
Terry

"Thanks Terry
Pulling the inj

"Thanks Terry
Pulling the injectors is a bit tricky, easy enough to disconnect everything, but how does one actually pull it out? Special tool? Is there any other way to get oil in the cylinder? And how would you get as much oil out afterwards? And can one use wd40 or another penitrating oil?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Ben"

"Hi Ben:
Yes once you get any

"Hi Ben:
Yes once you get any intake and return lines off the injectors do pull out. Can be a little difficult with an older engine if they've been in for many years, so some twisting and prying may be necessary. I would strongly suggest that you get yourself a shop manual for your engine. You can also get exploded parts views on line from a lot of sources. If you can't fine one let me know and I will send you the URL of some sites I use. No other way I know of to get penetrating oil in the cylinders without pulling the heads on a seized engine. As to oil, what I'm talking about is flooding the cylinders. I'd use marvel mystery oil because it is intended to be a lubricating penetrating oil, not a water dispersant like WD 40. What you don't get back out the injector holes when the engine is turned over will end up in the sump. I'd rotate the engine a lot until I didn't have a spray of WD 40 coming out the injector holes.
Terry"

"Thanks a lot for the support,

"Thanks a lot for the support, Terry. I'll give them a go tomorrow. I have a shop manual from Vovlo Penta for these motors, but they are geared toward the educated mechanic. I've a bit of experience with engines, but not in all areas. If you have any other links available, please send them along. Can't have too much info here. I tried pumping the old motor oil out of the engine and manage to get about a quart or so. A bit of sludge and goo in the bottom there. Any suggestions for something to break that up so it can be sucked out easier?"

"Hi Ben:
For exploded part vi

"Hi Ben:
For exploded part views check out www.marinepartsexpress.com
Note also that besides the intake and return lines there is a hold down bracket for the injector but that should be pretty evident. From you manual you can check the oil capacity of your engine. Marvel mystery oil will act as a solvent and there are commercial engine cleaners that can be added to oil. Being cheap I've used Automatic Transmission fluid at about 20% of the oil capacity as a solvent. I wouldn't run the engine under load and I wouldn't run it for long but it does work. Before I did that though I'd make a serious effort to drain the sump at the sump plug.
Good luck and have fun.
Terry"

"Hi Ben:
For exploded part vi

"Hi Ben:
For exploded part views check out www.marinepartsexpress.com
Note also that besides the intake and return lines there is a hold down bracket for the injector but that should be pretty evident. From you manual you can check the oil capacity of your engine. Marvel mystery oil will act as a solvent and there are commercial engine cleaners that can be added to oil. Being cheap I've used Automatic Transmission fluid at about 20% of the oil capacity as a solvent. I wouldn't run the engine under load and I wouldn't run it for long but it does work. Before I did that though I'd make a serious effort to drain the sump at the sump plug.
Good luck and have fun.
Terry"

"That is a great link! I have

"That is a great link! I have to laugh, though, because here in Norway, right next to Sweden where the Volvo factories are, the parts cost twice as much as they do in the States! Everything is expensive. I paid 35 dollars for a quart of synthetic motor oil!
I had a terrible thought last night that maybe the cylinder head is cracked. I'm not sure what the previous owner did to winterize the engine before he let it sit for 6 years. It does get very cold up here-same latitude as Anchorage.
I'll let you know how things go and I will have fun. Thanks again for the help.
Ben"

Back