Logo

1990 COBRA OMC 57L problem

basi123

"I took out my boat a couple o

"I took out my boat a couple of days ago and i noticed that something is coming out of my engine and it seems like its gas,i could see it in the water, i dont think this is regular. this is my first boat and i want to make sure nothing is wrong with it. anything would be helpful

Thanks"

"on a cold start, it's com

"on a cold start, it's common to see some gas and soot in the water while the choke is closed.

Is it floating up and evaporating off the water? sort of disappearing?... if so that is gas.

If it is not disappearing, but leaving lingering multicoloured slicks of oil, probably outdrive oil, or power trim fluid."

"its leaving multicolors in th

"its leaving multicolors in the water, and alot of it. it does this when its not in cold start

is this normal"

"If it is not disappearing, bu

"If it is not disappearing, but leaving lingering multicoloured slicks of oil, probably outdrive oil, or power trim fluid.

Need to fix it - if oil is getting out, water is getting in and waters wrecks stuff."

"Mike, on the trailer , loosen

"Mike, on the trailer , loosen the bottom drain plug on your drive....it should look like honey...if its milky you have a leak in the drive somewhere- dont continue to use it untill this is fixed as Hy Stat says 'water wrecks stuff'
If your oil is clear then run your trim up & down & look at hydraulic ram shafts for oil..your drive should be able to stay in the up position overnight. Your drive would probably have trouble going full up if the trim is leaking.
Paul"

thanks. i tried it and put the

thanks. i tried it and put the trim up over night and it came down by itslef when i checked it in the moring

"I would thing if its a leak,

"I would thing if its a leak, you'll be getting low on fluid & will have a hard time getting your drive in full up position. If not & no sign of oil anywhere, may need to rebuild your pump....ive seen threads here somewhere you could search but not critical- more of a nuisance. So your drive oil is clear?"

Back