Logo

Oil Change

"Hey I have recently repaired

"Hey I have recently repaired a few gaskets on my 1957 evinrude lightwin , anyway while the lower unit was apart I want to chang the oil and I know the oil has not been changed for many years (probably 15+) so I want to change it however as I was looking at the lower unit it says to use "hypoid oil" (it's a little worn out so I'm not sure if the spellings exactly hpoid, but it's something like that). Just wanted to know if that oil has another name or if I can use some other kind, or where I can get that oil. Thanks in advance for any help."

Use an outboard gear oil. It&#

Use an outboard gear oil. It'll be in the 85W 90 sort of range depending on the exact oil.

It should conform to the API GL5 specification but has additional inhibitors to protect against the effects of water ingress.

Back in 1957 there probably was no such thing as "outboard gear oil" so the recommendation would have been a hypoid gear oil of EP90 grade
but really they are intended for use in vehicle back axles.

Strongly recommend you chage the oil much more frequently ... like every year.

If there was any signs of water in the oil eg if it is milky looking the gearcase probably needs new seals.

"Thanks for your help.<[img]"h

"Thanks for your help.
happy.gif
I already had some 85W oil so thats great. I got away lucky this time becasue the oil/gearcase was still okay, but I'll be sure to change my oil more frequently in the future."

Back