Logo

Thermostat Q

garzone

"After removing cover to therm

"After removing cover to thermostat, it is unusual that no water was in the water jackets in the head?
I really expected water to run out.... but nothing.

**edit**
1977 55hp Evinrude "

"You dont say what engine in p

"You dont say what engine in particular but I'd expect the motor to drain when not in use and therefore there to be water in the cooling system.

My understanding is that one of the secondary reasons for fitting a telltale to older engines, that did not have one originally, and fitting it near the top of the engine is for it to act as a vent to facilitate draining."

"'My understanding is that

"'My understanding is that one of the secondary reasons for fitting a telltale to older engines, that did not have one originally, and fitting it near the top of the engine is for it to act as a vent to facilitate draining.'

The main reason for it normally to be 'high' is to avoid air-pocket in the cooling system. The 3-cyls had problems with alarms at hard acc's, and the cross V-4 has a cooling problem with the regulator just mention two engine types. To get the engine completely drained, it has to be vertical. Tilting it up 'too soon' may leave water at the bottom of the cylinder cooling jackets."

"Thanks guys...Sorry I didn&#3

"Thanks guys...Sorry I didn't mention engine size... 1977 55 hp 2 cyl Evinrude. Looking for water, I guess I've worked on too many cars and not enough boats... lol

I will look at installing the telltale...if I can find a good spot...

GZ"

""[i]I will look at instal

""I will look at installing the telltale"

Then you might find THIS on the iBoats forums of interest.
(iBoats running very slowly at the moment reaching saturation point again I reckon)"

"On that engine it may be inst

"On that engine it may be installed in the exhaust cover. Remember to pull the hose OVER the top of the block, then down on stb side."

"Well, got the telltale instal

"Well, got the telltale installed.... I think I'm going to like it!!!
287074.jpg
TellTale

"You hopefully used the 'o

"You hopefully used the 'original' nipple in the lower cover. If not, the loss of pressure will influence the pressure valve operation and Your engine will run hot at higher rpm."

"Original" nipple...?

"Original" nipple...?
Guess I didn't.... There was not one previously installed that I have been able to find...Nothing on the exhaust cover. I used a 3/16 hose with a small nipple I had in the garage...Guess I better try to find one for it....Thanks

**edit** Found one at local Marine shop..$5.00... Putting it on today...

Back