Logo

Drive Shaft came out while installing water pump kit

hkmike1

"I have a pair of 1996 Evinrud

"I have a pair of 1996 Evinrude Ocean pro 150's. I had removed the water pump housing on the starboard motor. The whole drive shaft just came out with the impeller on it when I tried to pull the old impeller off. I don't think this should happen. I got the impeller off of the shaft, but I don't think that I should just put it back in. It seems like there should be something that holds it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike"

"It should be held by a sleeve

"It should be held by a sleeve in the lower driveshaft. Unfortunately to get it 'corrected' You will need to pull the whole lower unit appart, pull out the lower driveshaft and install a new sleeve. My guess is that 'someone' by force has pulled out the upper driveshaft and broken the locking tabs in the sleeve."

"Thanks Morten for the fast re

"Thanks Morten for the fast response. That "Someone" wasn't me that pulled on it with force. I barely pulled up on it by hand. Judging by some of the things that I found out that the previous owner did, it has probably been like this for a while. Will it hurt if I just put back in? I think that I should at least replace the seal that it goes through into the lower unit.
Thanks,
Mike"

"If working, it may be like it

"If working, it may be like it is. Risk might be if the upper shaft 'climbs' and pushes the impeller up.
It may even damage the lower crank shaft/drive shaft seal."

Back