Logo

OMC upper gear case overhaulhelp

dguess

"I have a 1985 OMC 800 stringe

"I have a 1985 OMC 800 stringer with a 3.8L. My upper gearcase locked up, so I took the drive off and started to tear into it. the only problem I have found is the shaft the ball gear is on will not turn. The bearing on the inside was wasted, the gears look good. I have taken it out but it still will not turn. I have been trying to take the race off at teh end of the shaft with little luck. I managed to get the nut off the ball gear and I am still fighting to get things to free up.
Any suggestions?"

"I took mine apart with only a

"I took mine apart with only a vice and a few pieces of metal pipe, different sizes.

take it to a a machine shop they can press off the race, me i would cut it off with a angle grinder, with a metal cutting wheel."

ok I got that done but now I h

ok I got that done but now I have found that the outer race from the small bearing on the pinion shaft is stuck in the housing i have been told that there is no way to get it out. I will try about anything I figure I dont have any thing to loose at this point any suggestions???

"Heat the housing up around th

"Heat the housing up around the race and when the paint turns to powder, smack the gear case down on a 2by8 and the inertia will drop the cone and it's shims on the board. You must hit it evenly. There is a fancy gauge for setting up the new bearing pre load, but I just bought an extra cone and spun ground the out side dimension down so it would fit the bore with out tension. Then when the shims were right, I pounded in the new cone and the pre-load was perfect."

"just did the same procedure o

"just did the same procedure on my stringer drive, only other thing i can say is make sure you heat the housing evenly, and once the race slides out about a 1/2 inch you can use a brass punch to get it the rest of the way out. good luck"

Back