Logo

454XLi wonbt take throttle but runs well once on plane

nauticalknowhow

I have a 1995 Cruisers 3570 w/

I have a 1995 Cruisers 3570 w/twin 454XLi throttle body injected engines. My port engine has been misbehaving for over a year but is now getting difficult to plane the boat. It won't take throttle under load when trying to come up on plane. RPM starts to fall back and some back firing of coughing. Once its up it will run up to 4400RPM all day long. I've replaced caps & rotors on both engines and I've swapped ignition coils between engines. I suspect timing but haven't gotten to that as yet - any ideas out there??

"Hello Mako,
No I haven't

"Hello Mako,
No I haven't changed either as yet. Filters don't seem probable to me because it runs at WOT very well.
Plugs & wires maybe and I will pull plugs this weekend. I am wondering about timing and if the spring/weight combo may not return all of the way leaving my timing advanced (good at WOT but bad under load trying to get there...). I'll check that as well. Do you know if this is a repair or replace item if it is the distributor?"

"If its a non-ECM distributor&

"If its a non-ECM distributor(prestolite & mallory), yes, the advance parts are serviceable, but not always stocked. Many times the auto supply chain can provide them quicker/cheaper.

If its the ECM-controlled or electronic version (EST), there are no weights or springs....those functions are embedded in the control module or the ECU.

If you have an electronic version, make sure you get any required 'timing plug/harness/jumper/adapter' before you start."

Back