Logo

1990 6 HP Johnson Wonbt Start Unless I Inject Fuel Into The Carb

cmalinowski

"I recenly bought a 1990 6 HP

"I recenly bought a 1990 6 HP Johnson as a kicker motor for use on limited HP lakes here in Ohio. The guy I bought it from was real honest and said it ran great, but prior to starting it for the first time each time I go out, I would need to insert a little fuel directly into the carb. He was right, the motor runs great but each morning before getting started, I need to remove the black plastic muffler/air filter, squirt in a few drops of fuel, then it will fire right up. Once I do that, it will restart all day long as well, it just needs the fuel the first time I go to start it on each outing. I'm not an expert in motors, but I am good at figuring things out if I can get pointed in the right direction. Any advice would be a big help. A little more on the motor, it's a 1990 Johnson 6 HP, model J6RLESR, pull start, 2 stroke."

"It does have a simple strangl

"It does have a simple strangler flap type of choke (not a primer pump)?
Make sure that when you pull the choke knob the flap in the carb throat closes fully.

Maybe the idle mixture needs tweaking a little.

Maybe the carb is in need of a clean.

You are pumping the bulb to completely fill the carb bowl ?

There is an interlock that prevents the starter operating if the throttle is too far open ? Open it practically as far as that interlock will allow, disregard the mark on the tiller."

Back