Logo

Battery Charger

halemorg

"I am back again already hopef

"I am back again already hopefully someone can help, I am a novice at this boat owning stuff, so you will probably see a lot questions from me and I appreciate the help, Anyway here we go again.I bought a 30 ft boat last year it has 3 batteries on it. Also it has a Charles ci 1220b charger.
the charger worked fine last year.
I am currently getting ready to put it in the water and I noticed when I plug the boat in, home in my yard that the batteries are not charging.
when I look at the charger (Charles ci 1220b) on board I notice the following.
The machine is humming ( which I believe is normal)
The ampmeter is showing nothing
I checked the fuse its seems to be good.
I am assuming the power from the AC is getting to the charger but its not producing the DC amperage to charge.
The only obvious thing I can see on the box is the fuse which I checked on my meter and it appears good.
Is there something I can do to get the charger working properly."

"I'm sure you already have

"I'm sure you already have, but make sure that your battery connections are clean and free of corrosion.

Has it been on charge for a while? If so they may be topped off and the charger is not currently charging. I have a dual battery charger setup (not sure of the model) but the meter on it does not always show that it's charging unless they need some.

Have you tested the batteries to see what voltage they are currently showing? 12.7 or better? If they reading at that level then you don't want the charger pumping a solid 3 amps all the time or you'll damage a battery."

"The meter might be broken--co

"The meter might be broken--common boating problem. Take a portable voltmeter and check the voltage at the battery with the charger On and then OFF. You should see about 13.5 volts for a fully charged battery, and 14 plus while it's being charged.

Jeff

PS: Don't have a volt meter? Harbor Freight sells them for 5 bucks."

"Check the charger to see if i

"Check the charger to see if it is wired on the 'switched' side of any battery switches?

I've seen many installed that way.

Also, sometimes the chargers get installed with DC fuse(s) in the output wires."

Back