Logo

BF8A Acceleration Problem

diandi

"My 8hp Honda starts well, idl

"My 8hp Honda starts well, idles well and runs at low, med, high speeds well. The (intermittent) problem is when I attempt to accelerate from a lower to higher speed the engine hesitates and sputters, sometimes for almost a minute before it manages to accelerate to the requested speed. (very annoying when docking) I cleaned the carb twice, changed the gas, changed the fuel filters and changed the spark plugs. When this occurs I tried to pump the fuel ball with the thought that the engine may be starved of fuel, however this does not help.

One observation: when I pump the fuel ball hard there appears to be some leakage at the fuel line connector. (I have a new connector on order)

Anyone have further ideas?"

"Just for something to do befo

"Just for something to do before your connector gets here, hook up a timing light to your motor, and put a mark on the front of the flywheel where you can see it without having to crawl over all those moving parts and see if the timing advance is working. If it does not move, there are weights and a sliding sensor plate that may need some spray and oil."

"Update: I changed the fuel co

"Update: I changed the fuel connector, now it does not leak when I pump the fuel ball however it did not seem to improve the acceleration problem.

Although I had previously changed the spark plugs only one was actually new. I now changed both spark plugs with brand new ones and for now the engine seems to run properly. I'll have to try it a few times to be confident that the problem is in fact fixed.

Both plugs that I removed looked clean and dry with a tan colour.

I'll try the timing advance test sometime when convenient. Does the BF8AH have a mechanical timing advance mechanism? My manual is for a BF8D and I can't see a mechanical advance in there."

"Timing advance is under the c

"Timing advance is under the cam sprocket. Also check your timing marks for the flywheel and cam. Under starter on the back starter support leg. If the cam belt wears enough to put the marks 1/2 tooth off, you will foul plugs."

"I wanted to wait until I used

"I wanted to wait until I used the motor a few more times to declare that the problem is solved. Thank you all for your input especially Mr. Moore.

I cannot be sure but it is possible that before replacing the plugs the last time they may not have been fully seated. It just seemed that the new plugs tightened up better. I was using the cheap little plug wrench that comes in the motor tool kit and becaused of its construction it can get jammed between the plug and the housing giving the impression that the plug is fully tightened. I'm wondering if perhaps the plugs were not properly installed the last time.

In any case for now, after several outings, the problem seems to have been resolved. Thanks."

Back