Logo

Racor fuel filter

jeb

I have a 1987 Tiara with 270 C

I have a 1987 Tiara with 270 Crusader gas engines.There are 2 fuel filters for each engine. One is located on a bulkhead and is a Racor 200FGM. I am told that this is a 2 micron filter to be used on diesel engines and that I should not use less than a 25 micron filter on a gas engine because the mechanical fuel pumps will not be able to supply enough fuel to the engine. The boat runs fine and I believe these filters were original equipment. Should I replace them if I am not having a problem?

"if you don't know how man

"if you don't know how many gallons have been run thru them, change them - they are routine maintenance items.

the flow rate on the racor filters is a specified item. The finer they are the faster they will will up, if there's any crud in the fuel tank. The 10 micron filters have served mine engines well. staying away from the ultra fine filters is a good idea if there's ethanol at your fuel dock"

""2 microns"! You&#39

""2 microns"! You're lucky to not have gas starved your engines and burnt a piston. The recommended practice is, as you stated, 30 micros BEFORE a fuel pump and 10 microns after it. (Note: Bigger number=coarser filtration.) Those who violate that rule are looking for trouble in this age of "evil-nol".

Jeff"

I have 1988 454s and have been

I have 1988 454s and have been running the 2 microns(brown label) this season with about 50 hrs and no issues. Had run the 10 micron ones for the past 5 years. I spoke with RACOR and both filters are rated for 60GPH and they saw no issue with fuel starvation. They said just to drain them more frequently and possibly change a little more frequently as if they did plug then they could cause some starvation. Interested in additional input on this.

"My buddy also has the Tiara i

"My buddy also has the Tiara installed racors, in addition to the engine (Merc) spin on. I'm not a fan of filters in series, especially if the filter nearest the tank is the finer of the two. The second filter has no purpose and you have more fittings, o rings, suction losses etc to cause issues. btw, this same friend just had the racor filter O rings swell, causing an air leak. For a carb gas engine, a single, 30 micron with a water drain sump work fine. Finer filters are for diesels and fuel injectors."

"Like i said earlier, the 10&#

"Like i said earlier, the 10's have worked well for me and they are located between the tank and the pump.

Ask the RACOR rep to explain how the ratings are achieved...and then consider how close it is to the 'real world' as defined by your boat. In fairness to Parker, their approach to rating their parts uses some of the 'best practices' around, worldwide, but doesn't always reflect reality very closely.

Then consider how 'clean' your fuel system is...if you use your vessel frequently and 'store' very little fuel and only for short periods of time, it may still be close to pristine. The 2's may serve you very well. If you're like the majority, the engine hour meters don't move a often as they used to and the fuel in the tank is less than optimal. Crud development in this situation is very common and a batch of E10 can send it all straight to the filter in short order. In this case, the 2's will catch it but won't let much thru."

Back