Logo

Belt Replacement

halemorg

"Hi Folks
I recently purchase

"Hi Folks
I recently purchased a 1986 Chris Craft 292 Catalina. It has two 220 Crusaders. I am currently doing a general tuneup. Plugs,wires,belts,oil etc. I can not for the life of me see how to get these belts of without a lot of effort.each engine has two belts alternator, and the one for running the water pump for exhaust. I would assume that this should be a reasonably easy task. Can anyone help me!!!!"

"Keep looking, for they didn&#

"Keep looking, for they didn't grow them in place (fer sure!) Look at where the alternator pivots: one bolt holds it on, the other allows it to pivot. On mine, the raw water pump pivots on about a bolt so there's a slot to move it.

Jeff

PS: If you can't find a number on them to replace them, take them to NAPA and match them up. Then keep the old ones on board for a spare."

"The alternator pivot should a

"The alternator pivot should allow for removal of the primary belt. And my fresh water pump is mounted to the bottom left of the crank (crusader 220). That belt is short and only drives the fresh water pump. To remove that belt I have to loosen the 2 nuts below the base of the water pump allowing it to slide towards the crank. Not the easiest to get to with v-drives being that my motors are rearward facing, but the fact that my entire rear bilge cover removes very easily makes my job a LOT easier.

Good luck, shouldn't be too hard."

"Thank you for the info, I nee

"Thank you for the info, I need to get the raw water one of first then the alternator comes, my problem was that I was not aware of the pivot on the water pump. but this helps a great deal. I appreciate the NAPA advice as well because I called around a few places with the belt numbers and no one could tell me anything."

"Not sure how your water pump

"Not sure how your water pump is mounted but if it sits to the lower left of the crankshaft, look for a flat mounting plate underneath that it may be bolted to. If thats the case then there are 2 nuts under the bottom of the mounting plate that holds the water pump that you loosen allowing the pump to slide left and right for belt tension."

"Howard:

when you change th

"Howard:

when you change those belts, make sure you run the engines for at least ten minutes and then recheck the belt tension. I've seen several instances where this step was omitted (re-tensioning) and the whole process had to be repeated the following weekend."

"Thanks for the Info I will ma

"Thanks for the Info I will make sure I follow this process when I change them this weekend.
Also thanks to Tailspnr, the bolts for loosening are exactly where you said."

Back