Logo

Synthetic oil

tigershark

Contributing Member
Question: What would you recom

Question: What would you recommend: Using Mercury Marine Opti-Max 2-cycle oil at 34.99 gallon OR Pennzoil TC-W3 100% Synthetic Oil at 34.99 gallon?

Which is better to use for the same money. I have a 88HP Johnson outboard.

"the TC-W3 grade is pretty goo

"the TC-W3 grade is pretty good stuff. The price being the same, I'd go with the shop being most convenient and having those little things you always need."

I heard from a Mercury Dealer

I heard from a Mercury Dealer of all people that the Evinrude XD50 is the best 2 cycle oil on the market today.

I think I'm going to go buy hat stuff. It a synthetic blend.

Its XD50 for me!!!!!!!!!!

"General "rules of thumb&#

"General "rules of thumb"

If you mix your gas/oil any brand of TCW3 rated oil will work fine if you get it mixed good.

Use at least a semi-synthetic (or premium quality "dino-oil") if you have oil injection (where the gas and oil still mix at some point).

If you have a Direct Injected motor (Ficht, E-Tec, Opti, TLDI, HPDI) then use oil specifically for DFI motors - it never mixes with the gas until the point of ignition and you need that quality of oil for it to properly atomize and get where it needs to get - you can't rely on the "gas" to get it there."

"For years I have used Penzoil

"For years I have used Penzoil with no regrets. for my inboard now I use Mercruiser, and Penzoil would eb my next choice. Good prices can eb found thru the internet that have no tax nor shipping charges over $50.00 purchase."

Back