Logo

Prop

17arrowglassstinger

Contributing Member
hello i have a 1974 johnson 70

hello i have a 1974 johnson 70 h.p on a 17 ft runaboat it does flat out about 28 mph my prop is chewed up and old probably the same one from when it was built if i bought a new prop would this increase my top end i was planning on buying the same size thanks for any info

"If you've had that rig fo

"If you've had that rig for some time, and the prop was okay years back, you've probably noticed a drop off in performance as the prop gathered the damage.

If so, a new prop of the same size should show an improvement..... how much, I have no idea but if the engine is in good condition, you should gain back what was lost."

ok thanks i got the boat maybe

ok thanks i got the boat maybe 6 months ago and been workin on it ever since and i dont know if the people before me even got a new one and it was chewed up when i got it but thanks and when you buy a prob from a store they give you everything to install it thanks for the information and that was a quick response

"Matt there is no std prop for

"Matt there is no std prop for your motor as the outboard could be fitted to any boat size or weight...you might use it for skiing or maybe fishing. The pitch is the distance travelled in one revolution of the prop ie if you have a 15inch pitch the prop would travel 15inches forward in one revolution. (not taking into account prop slip) So stick with the original prop it is a good allround prop for cruising,fishing or skiing."

Back