Logo

1984 30 running problems

"i have a 1984 OMC 3.0 i took

"i have a 1984 OMC 3.0 i took it out this last weekend and it was running fine, it was running at 35 mph or so for several minutes, then all of a sudden it started loosing power and started coughing and sputtering, i reduced the speed to about 30 mph and it would run fine without loosing power, but soon as i would give more throttle it would start loosing power again, i checked fuel filters and they were all clean,.....any ideas????"

When was the last tune up done

When was the last tune up done?

Whats the oil look like?

what else does the motor do? Like overheat?

"i put new plugs, wires, new d

"i put new plugs, wires, new distrubutor, did an oil change all about a month ago and been running like a top the last 5 times i took it out, until last weekend....the oil looks great"

"Ok so clean the filter in the

"Ok so clean the filter in the fitting that enters the carb. and the one in the fuel pump.

There might be a fuel water separator, dump the contents in a clean container and let sit, what do you see?

Ok Pull the fuel pickup tube, connected to it is a anti-syphin voave, it is the 90 degrre fitting, is it clear working correctly? The screen on the bottom of the tube clear?

The vent clear? No spiders or little critters like a mouse stuck in there?

Ok with the trailer bow tilted as far up as possible, stick a 5-6 foot hose into the hole where the fuel pickup tube was and with a cheap auto 12v pump out the water and gunk on the bottom of the back of the tank. water is heavier then fuel pump the junk into a clear container when you see clean fuel start to enter the container shut off the pump, re-install the pickup tube and try the motor then.

If the problen is still there then rebuild the carb.

also make sure all the fuel hoses and clamps are good."

Back