Logo

Welding the scagg on

dealba5

I have an 1985 85 horsepower o

I have an 1985 85 horsepower outboard with a broken scagg. I need to weld it back on to the gearbox. How do I take the lower unit off to be sent to the welder?

"Jim,

You might want to con

"Jim,

You might want to condider a repair kit for skegs. they would bolt on to remaining skeg, I`d rather drill then weld. If not sold on this site, check overtons, I saw them in their catalog.Good luck,

Mauro"

"Just had same problem, found

"Just had same problem, found the skeg 80% corroded through from previous knock, broke it off before it fell off. Dropped the lower housing off (easy even for me), disconnect the gear linkage and the pitot tube if you have one, take out all the bolts holding it onto the upper housing, watch out for a hidden bolt in the exhaust trim chute if you have one ( cost me 1/2 an hour of head scratching when I should have looked at the manual). use a friend or a car jack to lower the bottom housing off, watch out for the rubber seal for the water pump riser tube and the spline connector on the drive shaft. took the whole lot to a local motorcycle repair shop and they did a fantastic weld, grind and repaint for US$40. My mate with a zapcat has this done ever 2-3 months as he always hits the beach at speed. Put the whoule thing back together in reverse order but get a mate to help lift it into place & remember the rubber boot for the water pump."

Back