Logo

Warm Start problem 1995 XLI

smacchia

I read a lot of posts and ther

I read a lot of posts and there is a lot of really smart folks out there. I hope someone has come across my issue. My port engine starts cold and hot without issue. In fact they run great! However on the port engine if I shut down and don't restart within 45 minutes the restart is a toss up. The engine kicks over right away and runs rough for 10 seconds then stalls. On the second attempt it will run a bit better. At this point sometimes it will start RPM hunting if it does this I am in good shap I know it will stay running if not it will stall and eventually I get a crank no start condition until the engine cools to about 125 degrees. Then it will start as if cold perfect. As a test I even gave some thottle during rough start in which the engines responded. Brought RPM to about 2000 for 10 seconds and then engine stalled straight from there. So no throttle control changes what eventually ends up being a stall to a crank no start condition. I can't afford to trouble shoot changing everything for no reason. I am hoping some smart fellow boater might have experienced the same problem. Thanks in advance.

"Sounds like your choke is set

"Sounds like your choke is set WAY too rich. There's an adjustment to lean it up. On mine, I deliberately run the chokes a bit lean for it's better on the motor (gas washing the rings). Besides, a bit of "right hand fuel injection" (pumping the throttle) compensates for a too lean choke.

Jeff"

"I think this one has fuel inj

"I think this one has fuel injection.......

I'd check the fuel pressure and bring the gauge for when it gets hot. If fuel pressure is OK when hot, move on to the idle air control [valve] (IAC). It may be easiest to swap the IAC's between port and starboard. It the problem goes with the IAC's replace it. (sometimes, IAC's can be cleaned - the valve gums up - but the issues will return.)

If none of that works, it may be time to get a code reader."

"Steve,
I had the same proble

"Steve,
I had the same problem with my 1995, 454ELI port engine. What I found was a bad connection on the heat sensor (located on the coolent fill spout), which connects the sensor to the computer. Not the sensor connecting to the temp gauge at the helm. The lose of this connection makes the computer choke a hot engine, which just won't start no matter hard you try. You may need to replace the sensor too, but clean the connector first. Good Luck,"

Back