Logo

30 liter

doubletake65

"I have a cracked block and I

"I have a cracked block and I am looking for a 3.0 1988 block. Or can i inter change this with something compatible? other than the 3.0? this is on a bayline, capri 1950 series, 18' king cobra outer drive. thanks"

"There were a few different 3.

"There were a few different 3.0 engines used, all bolt up the same but may use different flywheels.

Your 88 engine block is the same through 1990, not sure how far back it could go, could be to 86 or even 83.

Most inline engines like yours (depending on where the crack is) can be fixed with JB Weld and used for many many more years without problem.

The Mercruiser engines are the same but doubt the same years fit. Again mostly can be told by the flywheel details and or if your engine has a "one peice rear main seal" or not."

the crack is right below the h

the crack is right below the head cause I put a new water pump in it yesterday on upper unit. then I ran it with muffs and garden hose and seen it leaking then I had taken off the manifold to see where it was leaking. thanks for your input very much.

"I've seen where people us

"I've seen where people used a Dremel type tool to open the crack a little more nad just a bit to be able to get some JB Weld in there and drill the ends of the crack, to stop if from going further. You would want at least 1 inch of JB Weld on either side of the crack, need to push some in to give it some bite. You'll only need to buy a new intake/exhaust gasket and some JB Weld, let it cure for 48-72 hours in about 70-80 degrees and it should be good.

See when V6's and V8's crack they usually crack inside the V to which then lets water get into the oil ( not good ). Its RARE but does happen that a really bad hard freeze can crack through a cylinder, but it's usually hair line and doesn't cause much problems. Once that happens you would have to have that cylinder bored then sleeved. Still cheaper than a new block.

The only other concern is cracking the heads, which does happen from time to time.

Search JB Weld in the posts, you'll find your not alone."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
286485.jpg
"

Back