Logo

140 tohatsu

rodbooth

"I purchased 05 115 tohatsu th

"I purchased 05 115 tohatsu that was converted to 140. It has never run right. I have returned it to dealer six times. He changed props, adjusts timing, raises engine on transom, loctites adjustments nothing worked. It eats tons of gas and runs rough at 4000 rpm,starts relatively easily but soon coughs sputters and stalls. Makes slip exit a challenge. Plugs are always soaked, top carburetor is different than bottom three Any ideas"

"I would change dealers. From

"I would change dealers. From your description they haven't done anything to determine what the problem might be and I wouldn't have any confidence in their ability at this point. Think in terms of either an ignition or fuel system problem, but the engine will have to be diagnosed in a logical manner in order to find the problem."

"Thanks for your response. Tha

"Thanks for your response. Thankfully the dealer is already out of business. I kept returning to him because it was free warranty work. I discovered, while chasing an apparent short circuit, where this guy cut the battery cables from new engine, cut my battery cables butted them together,splooged some solder on them ,wrapped it in one layer of electrical tape,and tossed it back in the bilge! I repaired with butt connector overlapped with shrink tubing from both directions then wrapped in butyl splicing tape. Took 20 mins. My top carburetor is DA28SG05 and the bottom three are M140AA. Does that sound right?"

Whatever those numbers are we

Whatever those numbers are we don't use them. The top carb would be different as it is the one with the stop on it. If you want to try determing where the fault is yourself you are going to need a service manual.

Back