Logo

YEAR Unknown 48 SPECIAL Leaking Gear Lube

ont48spcl

"Hello..last year I bought boa

"Hello..last year I bought boat with this motor.When winterizing noticed gear oil was leaking via prop.Someone advised that the lower anode needed replacement.IS this so?I'm not a mechanic yet but will be ordering manual.Also,I don't know the year just the serail # which is G03090376.Can this be matched to a manufacturing year.
ALL assiatnce would be greatly appreciated.
GLEN"

"Need the model number to ID t

"Need the model number to ID the year. Usually on plate on the transom bracket but sometimes also on a core plug on the power head.

Are you sure it's gear oil leaking, not partly burnt oil from the fuel.

Prop shaft leaking will show oil from behind the prop. Is there any sign of water in the gear oil?

READ THIS

Replace anode if seriously corroded."

"VicS..TKS..boat is 50 miles a

"VicS..TKS..boat is 50 miles away in storage and I know it as Evinrude 48 Special.When winterizing,and on my knees on pavement I had noticed oil coming out at bottom and I thought from rear of prop.Oil didn't appear to have water in it but it was grayish.I read article and it was self explanatory.I can't order anode without knowing year as on 2 sites I found athis 2 stroke is broken down into 2 manufacturing segments with 2 part #'s.Rgds...Glen"

Glen grab a screw driver and c

Glen grab a screw driver and crack the drain bung and check the colour of the oil in the gearbox if its the same oil you have a problem.
If the oil is clear\honey coloured in the gearbox you probely dont have a problem

Back