Logo

1987 Mercury Classic 50 45 hp problems

mercnub

"I have a 1987 classic 50 seri

"I have a 1987 classic 50 serial number 0b326655 which has developed a problem. When I first put boat in lake it starts up and idles with no problem, but will not go faster than 2500 rpm even if floored. Sound as if it is flooding lost of gas in the water when I stop the boat. I go about 500 yards shut down and fish for 30 mins. then restart engine and it is fine for the rest of the day able to go full speed with quick pick up to plane boat. Fuel bulb pumps up and I can see no leaks in the fuel hose from tank to carbs. Fuel filer has gas in it about 1/2 full.

I rebuilt and cleaned carbs, and fuel pump, and replaced impeller. I found a bad rectifer and ordered a new one 'my tach was dancing all over the place". I checked compression on engine and got 135 in cylinder 1,2,4, but only 105 in cylinder 3. I am trying to soak the cylinder in decarb right now to see if the rings are stuck. Any ideas on what could be wrong would be great."

The compression is fine--even

The compression is fine--even in # 3. I suspect bad gas or an air leak in the line.

Jeff

"I am considering buying all n

"I am considering buying all new electrical parts, stator, switch box, and trigger. I get spark on all cylinders, but plugs foul up bad and my gas consumption is up. 21 year old boat which was in Florida for most of its life."

I found out that I had a bad c

I found out that I had a bad check valve in my fuel pump which may have been contributing to my problems. The small platic disk was warped bad.

Has anyone tried marvins mystery oil to unstick a ring?

Also are there any PTFE (Slick 50) type products for outboards? Seems that it would be a good idea if it worked.

"Don't use ANY of that cra

"Don't use ANY of that crap in a 2 stroke engine! If you want to unstick rings, use the Merc engine cleaner.

Jeff"

Back