Logo

Sears Ted Williams Eska Shift Question

tim_k

"Eska experts: I have 2 projec

"Eska experts: I have 2 project Ted Williams motors - not running yet - that don't seem to have a neutral. I move the shift lever to neutral and pull the rope, the prop still spins. These are oldies with no reverse gear. The lever apparently connects to a clutch dog at the bottom of the power head. Anyone run into this before and can suggest a fix?"

"Some times the spring on the

"Some times the spring on the bendit is broken and the little mushroom of the shift handle will have no effect on the bendix. So your a pull and go till you get a working $80.00 bendix.

If you hold the prop and spin the engine back ward (pull the spark plug) the spring should "unwind" from the bendix and release the driveshaft. Most of the Tecumseh had a tall water pump and could tolerate being spun back wards, how ever some had a small merc pump in them and didn't like to go the wrong way. -Check your parts manual for what type you have. If I can find a site to post my repair book (40pgs) I will do that- it gives up most of their secrets."

"Thank you William. The parts

"Thank you William. The parts diagram I have doesn't seem to show details on the clutch mechanism, so your info is very helpful. I have another blown motor of the same kind, I think I'll pull the power head to look at the clutch. Maybe I can use it, or at least learn a bit about it. Anything I should know before pulling the?"

They used the same bendix on a

They used the same bendix on a lot of these. You will find just a few bolts and nuts hold the power head on. Only a throttle limit rod and spring (which shoots across the room) and the remote fuel line to hold you back. You will probably have to lift the power head high enough to clear the water supply tube. Then the shift handle and little mushroom will be right there. Your bendix is held on with an allen screw. Yours will probably have a loose outer shell as your spring end will probably be missing.

"Hello William ! Maybe you c

"Hello William ! Maybe you can help me too. I have a Ted Williams that has served many years as auxilliary power for a 21' steel-hulled lifeboat that's been rigged for sailing use by a Troop of Sea Scouts up here in BC. It has always started easily and that's probably why it didn't ever get much attention. Now the problem seems to be with the clutch, just as Tim K has described. Is there some way to take the clutch apart to replace the Bendix, or does the whole issue have to be replaced ? In either event, do you know where such a part would be availble. Also, you mentioned a parts manual site. Do you have a URL for this site ? Thanx !"

Sorry William ! I forgot to i

Sorry William ! I forgot to include the numbers ! The Model No. (appears to be) 640.07B It's by Tecumseh and Serial # is 7739156.

"Ron- once the clutch fails, i

"Ron- once the clutch fails, it either stays in gear (the good news) or it has broken internally and pushed it's self apart. If that is the case, you can hammer it back together and have it welded or brazed together so you can run the motor. Sometimes you can get one (clutch) used from one of the many guys selling that stuff. Here is the short list. "Sanford's Goodies" on e-bay /"Twincitiesoutboard"/"Laingsoutboard"/"brixent"/"Crowley marine"/"Franzmarine" The book is a rough draft with crib notes and up-side down pages but it's free. I will need your e-mail address as it's on "Picasa" by invitation."

"William, is there any way I c

"William, is there any way I could get a copy of your book? You helped me on a question I had about my 7.5hp Gamefisher a while back, and I forgot to ask at the time. -Tom"

"Sure- all I need is an e-mail

"Sure- all I need is an e-mail. And you go to Picasa photo web site and down load it. That way no virus or BS. It is a draft with some crib notes and a few pages up-side down, but I will get the final up there one day. Also the part #'s are mostly Wards, as I worked in their warranty dept for a few years."

Back