Logo

Johnson 40HP Vs Yamaha 40hp

ozzie

I am thinking about purchasing

I am thinking about purchasing either of these motors.
The Johnson is a 1992 40hp and the Yamaha is a 1993 3 cylinder 40hp.
What would be the better motor and for what reason

"Both are decent motors and yo

"Both are decent motors and you really wouldn't notice any difference in "on boat" performance between the two of them.

What is more important than others opinions sometimes is parts/service availability.

If you have sources for both close by then there is no issue. Depending where you are it may be more difficult to get Yami parts or vice versa.

Even if you are doing the maint work yourself, you don't want to have to wait 3 weeks during peak boating season to get in an impeller because it has to come from "factory".

If you are relying on a dealer to do the service, they are slow at the best of times - so again, if there are 5 BRP/OMC dealers in your area and only 1 Yami, it's not difficult to figure who may be able to get to your motor quicker.

Just about every model from all the mfg's that was built in the past 20-30 years is decent quality, so tough to go wrong no matter which you choose."

But the yamaha has 1/3 more th

But the yamaha has 1/3 more things to go wrong!
The 2 cylinder will have more bottom end torque as well!

"when it comes to power the jo

"when it comes to power the johnson has more balls simple as that. the yamaha is a greeat motor i own one myself but having owned several 40 johnsons over the years i can say they deffinitely have more torqu. but they are louder and shake a little more, also more prone to problems ie. electrical issues. on the flip side though used parts are more readilly available. just my 2 cents"

"I have my own small thoughts.

"I have my own small thoughts.
In general I would say that the Yamaha's runs more balanced and smoother than most of the OMC/BRP engines. That however is as long as they are new!
Out of the box quality seems to be better, less 'adjustments' needed on newer engine.
But give them some years and the situation might quickly change. The Yamahas starts their typical Japanese rattling, the OMC/BRP just keeps on as they did when new.
My biggest 'against' has nothing to do with the engine itself, but the use of mm in all bolts and threads!! You may pull out an UNC bolt from alu or even roughly drill it out if broken, and be able to re-thread without using heli-coil. The mm threads is a different story!
I have a feeling that might be one of the reasons that You may still find 50 years+ OMC engines running, they are repairable within reason. Salt water run Yamaha's from 80's and up, You need Nitro Glycerin to get apart.
But buying a 15 year old Yamaha, and if salt water run on top of it - I would think twice."

Back