Logo

Carburetor Air Vent Removal

bankerjohn

Contributing Member
"I'm in the process of tea

"I'm in the process of tearing the carburetor apart on my 1996 9.9 4-stroke Evinrude motor ... and I'm "stuck"!

The manual says to remove the "air vent" before cleaning ... and it says to "press the air vent back in" after cleaning. Problem is, I've tried gently pulling and wiggling this plastic piece with a small pair of pliers ... and it doesn't seem to want to budge!

Does anyone know a better way to remove it ... without tearing it up? Since the instructions don't say "screw it in ... or out", I assume it's just "pressed in" ... but I'd hate to ruin it trying to remove it!

Here's what it looks like:

286241.jpg
Air vent

"u dont need to pull that,...g

"u dont need to pull that,...get some de-carb seafoam etc,..NOT 'carb cleaner' acetone etc,...thats a plastic bowl.....and most of the time,thats where the prob is...the items listed,wont harm those plastic bowls,but,..cleans them...make sure hs jet is clear,flush it w/plenty of wtr,and use air hose to blow thru,ALL area;s."

"I was planning on using an ul

"I was planning on using an ultrasonic cleaner ... and I've already removed the plastic cover, bowl, float, high speed orifice, etc. ... are you suggesting that I not bother removing the "air vent" at all?"

I just left it in ... put it t

I just left it in ... put it thru 30 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner ... blew it dry ... re-assembled with new parts ... re-installed on the motor ...

And now what I thought was a spark issue is solved ... or at least the motor doesn't die when I throttle it up. True proof will be how it runs on the water!

"They're used for cleaning

"They're used for cleaning medical and dental equipment ... gun parts ... and carburetors! Here's what mine looks like:

286265.jpg
Cleaner"">

Filled with a cleaning solution that's not flammable ... some machines are also heated ... ultrasonic vibration cleans the submerged parts."

Back