Logo

VP Coil

whydell

does it matter which sides the

does it matter which sides the wires for the coil go to? I've got a blue and a purple. One goes to the distributor and the other ???

Thanks

"Yes, it matters a lot.

I a

"Yes, it matters a lot.

I assume you have an AQ145A as per your profile. There should be a purple wiring coming from the ignition switch that goes to the (+) of the coil. Then there is another one (usually black) that goes to the distributor (points) from the (-) of the coil). And if you have a tachometer in your boat, there is usually a grey wire going from the tach to the (-) of the coil.

No idea what the blue wire is for, you may want to back trace it and see where it goes."

"Ok, I will check it out, than

"Ok, I will check it out, thank you very much.

Yes aq154a, is the operating temp on that motor 170? I am just so scared to keep a thermostat in it because it gets so hot. And I get this wild chatter at higher RPMs, like valves, or a water pump bearing."

"Actually, the correct coolant

"Actually, the correct coolant temperature for an AQ145A is 180º-198º. And yes, you definitely need a thermostat. If the oil pressure is too low at idle, consider trying SAE 15W-40. It worked very well on my old AQ140A."

"Would the wiring be the same

"Would the wiring be the same for AQ131? The Clymer book shows a red wire to +, but I have a purple and white (possibly grey) wire."

"The wiring should be virtuall

"The wiring should be virtually identical for the AQ131. Also, you may want to put the Clymer manual aside and refer to the wiring in the VP AQ131 operator's manual, which you can download from here:

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/engines/out_ of_production_engines/out_of_production_engines.htm

Keep in mind that the VP operator's manual indicate the wire going to the (+) of the coil as "dark red". But since purple is the standard in marine wiring for ignition, I may only speculate that "dark red" may be the Swedish translation for "purple"."

Back