Logo

3 wire evinrude rectifier

My new cdi 3wire rectifier cam

My new cdi 3wire rectifier came today and i noticed the red wire was offset. Where on two other rectifiers it was in the middle.Should this be a concern?One more thing is i tested the new rectifier with an ohm meter. Black to ground then red to each wire. The needle went about 3 quarters to the right on each one.Then i reversed the test. Black to yellow etc.the needle then moved slightly to the right before dropping back to the left.I thought the needle was not supposed to move at all.The test was done with the recitfer connected on the motor and no battery.

Test it disconnected.
Not fa

Test it disconnected.
Not familiar with the colours on that one otherwise could go through the testing with you.

Red is positive I guess but which is negative ... ground?
yellow and black the connections to the stator?

Thanks Two yellow wires one re

Thanks Two yellow wires one red .I'm going now to pull it completely off and retest. Its sierra 18-5708 for 1973 135hp evinrude not cdi.

That was it. I'm only gett

That was it. I'm only getting a one way reading now.I didn't know that the rectifier must have all wires disconnected to ohms test it.But still a little concern about the red wire not comming out in between the two yellows wires.I have rectifiers here and on both the red wire are in between the yellows.

"As you've discovered, the

"As you've discovered, the rectifier must be disconnected from all other wiring in order to be tested.

(Small Rectifier Test)
(J. Reeves)

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"he has purchased,a new one,fr

"he has purchased,a new one,fr what i understand,...he should not have to do any testing...hook it up..."

JW i just bought a multi meter

JW i just bought a multi meter i wanted see how it works on things.The rectifier is sierra not cdi my bad.I tested a rectifier i had lying around it tested good.You guys got me doing things i was afraid to try before.Thanks for being there.I know you answer the same questions over and over but they are new to me. Equal thanks to all.

"It is a 'pot hole' wh

"It is a 'pot hole' when testing with an analog (dial) tester and diodes like You have in the rectifier.
All diodes have a 'leak', and the amps provided by the tester is a bit low. That is why You may experience the reaction from the needle as You describe. Ohm testing the way recommended might trick You slightly.
Don't worry, just hook it up.
As a rule, disconnect battery from engine when not using and battery drain from leakage may be avoided. The diode leakage is mainly the difference between expensive and 'cheap' rectifiers, but has no effect when running."

Back