Logo

Coronado CHrys 440 overheating

71coronado

"My 71 coronado 440 is overhea

"My 71 coronado 440 is overheating
1) checked the intake clear
2) New impellars in Sherwood dual D-50 and its pumping
3) exhasut manifolds are cool no issues
4) engine runs hot 200 at low idle. If I increase the RPM's it goes down to 180 but no lower
5) Pulled thermostat, it works same issue if i run it without the thermo
6) Oil is clear, no disoloration

-- Can I back flow the engine to try and flush out any possible restriction
--any aother suggestions. Im going to check oil flow.."

"is 180 really a problem? i wo

"is 180 really a problem? i would be happy with that i think. you may want to check your ingnition timing,retarded timing can cause a hot running engine.

does your engine have a circulating pump ?,, my LM360 does not,it also has the duel impeller seawater pump. "

"That's what I meant. Ther

"That's what I meant. There's a separate impeller in that pump that might be bad.

Alternatly, the restrictor in the flow circuit that allows this weird arrangement to work (since it uses a positive displacement pump) might be rusted out or missing. If so, fluid would be bypassing the motor instead of cooling it. As the revs come out, the bypass is less effective, so more water is pumped through the motor, cooling it better.

Jeff"

We pulled and back flushed all

We pulled and back flushed all the lines to the trans and oil cooler they were clear. We found a a nice size impellaer chunk in the housing that holds the thermostat. Happy to say we ran it all day sat and sun it never went over 145.

If there is another water pump (circulatng pump) other than the belt driven dual Sherwood. I could not find one.
Thanks to all for the help.

"a lot of time the inside of o

"a lot of time the inside of old hoses between water pump and thru hull pick up collapse on the inside. I went through a new water pump, thermostat, etc.- changed the intake hose and all was well."

Back