Logo

88 Johnson 70hp lower unit weep hole leak

tnarg84

"I got back from fishing the o

"I got back from fishing the other day and when I got back I noticed the next day a small oil leak from the lower unit weep hole. I drained the milky oil from the lower unit and proceeded to take the lower unit off. I was wondering if this was the water pump seal going out or the prop shaft seal going out. I also tried to purchase a water pump kit and it asked if it was 49Ci or 56Ci, and I have no idea, I do know the model no. of the motor to be J70TLCCA. Thanks in advance for any help..."

"not a problem...look on this

"not a problem...look on this site,in the sierra section.....first,make sure it was not a dr plug gask leaking,..then/pressure and vacuum ck....a simple pump,can accomplish this...pull 10psi both ways....but,...if the dr plug gask r good...dont just fix the bad seal.....fix the lower unit,thru-out......that way,it is done,and done right...good for yrs...inst a new wtr pump KIT,while u r at it..."

"I'm confused, a bad drain

"I'm confused, a bad drain plug seal can cause oil to leak out of the weep hole? And I'm not sure how to tell wether my engine is a 49Cid or 56 Cid engine, how would I go about finding that out? And another problem, I can't get my water pump impeller off the driveshaft and I don't want to heat up the inside of the impeller cause it still looks brand new, any suggestions? thanks JWB"

"u drained,..milky oil,fr gear

"u drained,..milky oil,fr gearcase...dr pl gask ..could cause this,..but thhis is usually,not the case...u have a seal leaking,is my bet...wtr gets in an expells,the oil ,out the bad seal....imp---use a hammer,hit between the baldes,all the way around...if that does not wk..get a SHARP,chisel,.and chisel it off,close to d-shaft."

Back