Logo

1989 125 HP Force LDrive NO SPARK

ohiodeerhunter

"I have a 1989 Bayliner Capri with a 125 HP Force L-Drive Motor. My bottom two cylinders are getting spark, but my top two are not. Any suggestions? Not sure if there's any wires I can check or there are two blue boxes next to the coil boxes. (Maybe one controls the top two and the other one controls the bottom two) Thanks"

One of your "blue boxes&#3

One of your "blue boxes" is toast. Each one of those CD boxes provides the power to a pair of plugs. You can check by swapping the boxes and see if your problem moves.

Don't let your heart stop when you learn that Merc wants about 485 bucks for a new one (and yes that is for one of the two).

CDI/Rapier sells an aftermarket version for about 200 bucks or you can check Ebay - used ones list all the time.

What is blue box called i have

What is blue box called i have just bought a boat with a 120 force with same issue Is will only turnover

The blue boxes are CDI's -

The blue boxes are CDI's - retail for many hundreds of dollars apiece.

Get yourself a repair manual (Selocs is decent) and go through the troubleshooting section.

Just because the motor won't fire doesn't mean you have an ignition problem.

Start with a compression test (Force are notorious for chewing up piston rings)

Then check for spark at all cylinders - can be done with a timing light or a spark tester.

If you have no spark at 1 AND 2 or 3 AND 4 then you may have a blown CDI box.

If you have no spark at a single cylinder then you could have a blown coil or a toasted trigger.

If spark is ok (and compression) then troubleshoot the fuel system. If this has been sitting the carbs may be clogged.

"no spark same pack check stat

"no spark same pack check stator 25dva or equal black end ground red end on 1,2,3,4,coil output only test one at time usually brown with blue or yellow strip!hope this helps jason farly need fluke88 with dva adapter or equal."

I just bought a 1989 bayliner Capri It turns over but won't start how do I check to see if the ignition box is working and how do I check to see if the coils are workin? I only checked #1 spark plug but I think there is no spark because I tried to use starter fluid and that didn't do anything also I touched the battery cables backwards on accident.. It was dark oops! Would this harm any electronics to make it not spark

31THQUebdTL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Start your own thread.
Hooking up the cables wrong shouldn't stop it from sparking.
You have the kill switch hooked up?
outboardignition.com has test procedures for your motor.

Get an inline spark checker.
Do a compression test.
The results should be within 5-10# of each other.

Do these things and post the results.

That's probably it.
If you can't find the right kill lanyard??
Try unhooking the wires from the back of the switch.
That not working?
Then hook the two wires together and see if you have spark.

Where would that 2 wires be? If you could text me I can send photos and that might help my number is 707 2174364 and again I apriciate the help so much and thank you for replying

The wires would be on the back of the kill switch.

I see your in Ca. I'll wait a bit before I text.
It would make me mad if I got a text at 4am

Last edited:
Back